Lower drain seals

b22smith

Seaman Apprentice
I've learned that you should replace the lower unit plug seals FIRST if you find evidence of water in the lower gear unit. Why aren't rubber o'ring's used instead of the nylon washers on the plug bolts? Does the oil or water deteriorate them? Just curious if anyone knows.

ob

Admiral
Re: Lower drain seals

You should replace the nylon washers each time you remove one of the plugs.The "o" rings are used on the drain and vent cap screws that have a undercut to allow the "o" ring to seat on without crushing it out.If yours are the nylon washer type,that's what you'll need to use.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower drain seals

Originally posted by ob:<br /> You should replace the nylon washers each time you remove one of the plugs.
Boy, I learned that lesson the hard way. I used to drain my gearcase every 100 hours and simply release the drain plug (water inspection) every 50. The result was that @ the next drainage( 100 hrs) I had water contamination. After several of these cycles I had my OMC Tech test it(Vacuum or pressure ?) and she was fine. Finally, in desperation, I starting replacing my gear oil and nylon gaskets together every 50 hours. That was about 12 years ago and I've been pristine ever since. I think that the gaskets take a set and are only good for one tightening. The funny thing is, my 15 has the undercut plugs and O-rings and has never leaked at all. Pete