Hyrdo Drive Shifter

Prozack

Recruit
I'm having problems with my 1972 100 hp Johnson. This is my first boat I've owned and I'm having problems geting it into forward. After playing for a while (popping from neutral to forward) I can eventually get the prop to stick. It usually ingages and them pops back out after 5 secs. Is this a problem in the shifter or maybe the lower end? Reverse is strong. However, it once continued forward when I pulled back into reverse. Help I'm confused. Shops can't get the motor to duplicate the problem. How can I resolve this problem?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hyrdo Drive Shifter

Hi Zack and welcome to iboats!<br /><br />It would sound at first like there is a problem with the shift switch it's self. These lower units are designed to stay in gear on loss of 12V power. This would get ya home. I would seem that the shift switch is not disconnecting or intermittently disconnecting the 12V DC to the forward shift solenoid. <br /><br />You could find out by connecting a volt meter to the forward shift wire (green) where it connects to the lower unit shift harness. Watch the meter as you shift. If the voltage comes and goes, most likely a problem with the switch or shorted somewhere like in the control box.<br /><br />Have you looked in the control box at the switch and made sure it's anchored down and not flopping around? This could be a problem also.<br /><br />Keep us posted on what yer doin' and what ya' find'....thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Hyrdo Drive Shifter

What OBJ said. Those switches can come loose from vibration. Also, on your motor there is a green and blue wire that go down to your shift solenoids in your lower unit. They are spliced using bayonet type connectors so you can disconnect them to drop the lower unit. Check them to be sure they are clean and tight and the sleeves that cover them are in good shape.