Evenrude Lightwin 3 HP??

STLHD7

Recruit
I recently aquired an old Evenrude Lightwin that I found in a neighbors basement. 3hp with the numbers 3034 10395 on a metal plate on the side. It looks good but will not turn over and I would like to get it freed up to see if it will run. What year is it and where can I get a manual.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Evenrude Lightwin 3 HP??

Welcome to iboats Jerry!<br /><br />Looks like a 1960 3HP 'Rude. Manuals can be had at the link at the bottom of this page.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Tuneup article for your engine, click here. <br /><br />Great little outboard you've got there! You can drop the lower unit simply by taking out the four bolts that hold it on, and pulling it out. With it off, you'll be able to determine if it's locked up at the engine or the lower unit.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you do determine that the cause is in the powerhead, I would HIGHLY recommend tearing that motor down if it is stuck. DO NOT try to force it free by torquing on the flywheel or hammering on the pistons. It has aluminum rods and any brute force used to break the motor free is likely to bend them. Once apart you can use a press to push the pistons out (assuming that's where they're stuck). You can also visually inspect all bearing surfaces for rust/corrosion which may also be contributing to the stuck condition. <br /><br />Last year I had a mint-looking 4hp Johnson in my shop that had been submerged and left without proper drying out. The owner had wrenched ont he flywheel to try and break it free and broke both connecting rods, forcing one through the crankcase. It was a shame, as the motor had less than 15 hours on it before its dunking. And, I was able to press the pistons out in less than 10 minutes - they were fine and cleaned up nicely. The rings were stuck to the cylinder walls, which caused the stuck condition.<br /><br />I also would HIGHLY recommend getting a service manual for your motor. The aftermarket Seloc type manuals are fine for what you'll be doing...<br /><br />- Scott

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'll second what Chinewalker's saying here. For the sake of $10 in gaskets and sealants, tear it down. Even if it does free up fairly easily, it's a really good idea to go over the cooling passages in the powerhead to make sure they're all clear. There's two cooling circuits so sometimes one clogs and it isn't readily apparent.

STLHD7

Recruit

THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONCE GUYS. I APPRECIATE THE INFO. THIS LOOKS LIKE A GREAT WED SITE!!

ke4rocket

Seaman Apprentice

I picked up that same motor last spring at a tag sale. It too was locked up so I filled it with Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for a week and lo and behold it freed up without any forcing or banging. I used it all summer and fall with no problems. Not bad for a $20 motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you do get ready to crank her up, be sure to use a 24:1 mix, Jerry.<br /><br />Any JohnnyRude made before 1964 needs that because of the types of bearings used.<br /><br />Good luck. :)