Question concerning bent lower gearcase fin.

stingraymax

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I just noticed that the fin of my gearcase is a little bit bent.<br />Will this give me problems ? And how can I fix this ?<br /><br />My engine is a 99 johnson 90Hp.<br />Below is a photo.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />
o6pstaartstuk2.th.jpg

D

DJ

Re: Question concerning bent lower gearcase fin.

It will not hurt anything. You MAY have to adjust your trim tab (above prop) to compensate if the leading edge of the skeg is bent left or right. The picture doesn't show that.<br /><br />My philoshy has always been to leave them alone. Many have been broken off by well meaning folks trying to straighten them. :eek:

DHPMARINE

Captain

Ditto DJ's advice.You probably didn't notice a change in handling,did you?<br /><br />DHP

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

One of my engines is a bit worse than yours. Been runnin it for 10 years with no noticable problem.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what they say :) :) <br /> cast metal usually only bends once

RRRKKK

Cadet

Deadblow hammer with a backer against the side you aren't hitting. I use a piece of steel for backer it won't take much to straighten it out, you will be surprised how easy it is. Just don't hit it without a backer, or it wii break!

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The manual says to use a leather backing, and be prepared for a broken skeg. I would leave it alone, it only looks bad, it probably isn't affecting performance.

stingraymax

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I'll leave it alone.<br />Thanks for the info and your opinions.