What do you think of this Evinrude?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What do you think of this Evinrude?

Parts can be had for those old locomotives, but not cheap.<br /><br />Electric and electrohydraulic shift are not famed for reliabil;ity.<br /><br />On the other hand, if you can work on it yourself the price is attractive.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Those motors used about as much gas as a 300 V8. That one sure looks good though.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

There may not be a generator. I think that is the first year without the adjustable hispeed jets, so no fooling around with those. They really run smoothe and quiet, and like Dh says they suck down the fuel fast...but it looks cool... just a thought :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys, I think I will pass on this one.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Smart move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />Stalker

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If that has electric shift, then what is the linkage clearly visible on the lower cowling? Sure looks like a shift linkage to me.<br /><br />Is has a generator, which can bee seen int he second picture bewteen the V, belt driven off the flywheel.<br /><br />That motor sure "looks" nice.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It is a manual shift and it does have a generator.<br />The engine was repainted for sure.that is worrysome to me.You do not need a lot of parts for this one,and there are a million available.Still I would not touch this anchor with a three yard stick.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

shear pins will leave your but stranded. carry plenty with you. you will use every one of them. :mad:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I kinda like the green one settin' next to it... :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Obj,<br /><br />I thought that green one was neat too. Bet it would make a nice antique kicker!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

AMD,<br />What you are looking at as a generator is the mag. Generator don't have plugwires. Look under the flywheel just under the magneto belt there would be another belt and pulley for the generator...just a thought :)

G DANE

Commander

As an everyday motor, I think its too old. I always wanted one of those though - wish I was over there !!

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like the first outboard that I ever owned. A pile of bolts and nuts in a loose formation, outdated technology from an era of outboards that is best forgotten. Sucks gas like a drunk on a Saturday night, shears pins every other time you shift gears, won’t start when it rains, or is foggy, or it’s hot, or it’s cold. Brings back memories of vapor lock, welded point contacts and broken belts. Run, don’t walk away from that thing.

ledgefinder

Ensign

That is a manual shift, magneto ighition - the most reliable configuration for the old V4s. If it's running and the lower unit is OK, it's worth 200-325 (guessing). I recently sold a 1966 80hp, manual/mag, good compression & cosmetics, for $65. Not running due to weak spark.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Good going you guys,it was just like memory lane.The picture I saw was an older boat,maybe 1963,but the motor was 30 years newer.No electric/hydraulic/generator/v-belt or anything like it.Definetely 1990's.<br /><br />DHP<br /><br />must be time to upgrade this desktop to what U R USIN