Adding a voltage regulator

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can an OMC 10 amp voltage regulator P/N 585195 be installed on my 1972 100 HP Johnson? I would feel alot better if I could keep the voltage around 14 volts. If it can be, does it take the place of the rectifier or work in conjumction with it? Any tips on how to wire it would be appreciated. I have a pretty good idea but it never hurts to make sure. If it can't be is there one that would work?<br /><br />TIA<br /><br />Russ In Texas

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding a voltage regulator

Russ - The alternator on an outboard outputs AC voltage that must be converted to 12 volts (nominal) DC to operate accessories and charge the battery. It's the job of the rectifier to do this conversion. Unegulated systems will have only a rectifier so you will see fairly wide DC voltage swings. I gather you already know that the regulator accepts the DC voltage from the rectifier and keeps the voltage between about 13.5 and 14.6 (give or take a little)to avoid those high voltage readings. The regulator may incorporate the rectifiers in its housing or it may not. I don't have schematics for the regulators you mention, but if it has two wires the same color going in (probably yellow) it likely includes the rectifier. In this case you would eliminate the rectifier you currently have and connect its two leads to the new regulator/rectifier. The new regulator may have a tach output (gray wire) as well as the regulated DC output. Just make sure you know what you have before changing this system.

dolluper

Captain

you have me wondering here your stator is a 9 amp one and your going to use a 10 amp regulator hope it has a rectifer built in,since a mostly charged battery will produce approx 10 amps at5100 rpm so taking that in consideration I don,t think 10 amp regulater is right to charge at 14 v it should be ballpark 7.5 amps, unless your pratically wot most of the time

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you will read my initial post you will see that I am asking the same question.<br />1. Does it have a rectifier or work in conjuction with the one one the motor? (I'm guessing it does because it has two yellow wires, one gray, one purple and one red but I want to make sure)<br />2. Will that part number bolt onto the motor or do I need something else?<br /><br />I don't think the amps are an issue as the regulator is rated higher than the max amp output of the stator.<br /><br />Russ In Texas

dolluper

Captain

not sure if it does or not but you do want your battery to charge is what I,m getting at

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Russ -- don't worry about the 10 AMp regulator. That rating is its maximum amperage it can handle and since you have a 9 Amp max output alternator its simply not an issue. If I read your second post correctly, the regulator you wish to use has two yellow wires. That tells me the rectifer is built into it and those two yellow wires are the input. You would remove the rectifier currently on the engine. The Red wire is the regulated 12V output. Gray wireis the Tach and I must assume (and you know what that means) that the purple wire is the kill circuit. As for mounting, I don't have a clue.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Russ,<br /><br />I agree with the infomation provided by Upinsmoke. Just to clarify though, the purple wire comes off the accessory terminal on the ignition switch and has voltage on it only when the switch is on. In this case, it is used to power the regulator, but only when the ignition is on. I would suggest that you get the manual for your engine, if you don't already have one, to find out where this wire is available on your motor. On my 1978 70hp it is on position 7 of the terminal strip. Not sure on yours though as, although my book also covers your engine, it only goes back to 1973. BTW, if this connection is not made the regulator will not function and the unregulated charge voltage will just pass through to the battery.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. That confirms that I was right about wiring it to the motor and thats not a problem. I know what terminals go where. I have a manual for my engine and a regulated charging system was not an option on this engine but I want to add one because I am worried about high voltage damaging ignition components etc. I read on this board somewhere about a regulator that should work an any crossflow V4 but I can't find the post.Thats why I'm asking, will this regulator bolt onto the engine or do I need a different part number?<br /><br />Russ In Texas

did someone give a complete answer to this i would alos like to add voltage regulation to my system
from what i have read the 585195 might work but looking for hookup
of the wires
aparently grey is tach , purp poweres the regulator yellows goes to stator
and red is regulated output
is this right?
also this regulator is water cooled will it work without this on a 1972 50 electric shift

will i lose my shift into gear protection when the motor shut off

should be something simple aftermarket that resolves these issues

iwombat

Captain

If you've got a decently large battery to act as load, you won't damage anything at all with a high output voltage. Spend the money on a bigger battery if you're worried about it. Money better spent than on a regulator in my opinion.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Some batteries work better with unregulated systems than others. Sometimes newer and larger batteries solve the issue as wombat stated. Unless you make very long high speed runs you have nothing to worry about. If it bothers you, turn on all the lights and accessories you can. Voltage should drop a little, and keeps from overcharging the battery.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

CDI makes a 10amp reg/rectifier #193-4204. I put this on my 73 115 and it works great. Its water cooled and bolts to the top of the block in place of the water passage cover. Your 72 100hp has a different part number for the water passage gasket than my 73 does so I don't know if it will bolt up. That CDI part number is probably the one you recall reading here. The regulater helps alot for eletronic accessories like fishfinders and such that kick off on overvoltage.

http://www.rapair.com/media/2007%20Catalog.pdf