Doel Fins

Alistair

Cadet
Has anyone got experience of using doel fins on outboards. What if any improvement is to be found in the boats performance?<br /><br />I use my boat on a river where the speed limit is 5mph. Would a doel fin be any good?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Doel Fins

Search "HYDROFOILS", or "FINS".<br />should be a load of info there.... :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Unless you are planning on breaking the speed limit there is no doubt,you should leave the $ 25.99 right where it is in your wallet.The benefit at 5mph up to planing speed is ZERO.Charlie

walleyehed

Admiral

Alistair, I missed the 5MPH part of your post..........C.Charlie has the correct response........ :)

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

edit: brain freeze! i did the same thing walleyehed did i guess, sorry.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

5 MILES PER HOUR! <br /><br />I'd change rivers. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

catfish1

i just re-read the original post. 5mph? i'm with hooty, i'd find a different river.<br />crazy charlie is right, the foil wont benefit you at all! smart tabs however would allow you to cruise at low speed and stay straight with little to no steering corrections. is that worth $150-$200? i dont know.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What are you trying to accomplish or what problem<br />are you trying to solve with the fin?<br /> I agree with all fin is a waste of time at that speed.Maybe there is something else to help<br /> if you have a proplem.

catfish1

kenney, i'm just a happy user! :D :D you ought to get a set and try em, you cant appreciate the difference they make until you've tried them. all i can say is, i'll never go back to a foil! ;) <br />the price was'nt bad either :p :D

deofc

Seaman

Using the fins or trim tabs my depend on the size of your boat and motor. I have a older (78) 15 1/2 center console with a 70 HP Johnson -- bought used. It was hard to get the boat to plane. I put the fins on and it planes much quicker and at slower speeds. Reaches full plane at about 3/4 throttle and holds plane better. Used to (before fins)take full throttle and would lose plane quickly with any decrease in speed. Definetly worth $25.

walleyehed

Admiral

Alistair, everyone but C.C. missed the MAX-5MPH.........It doesn't matter what you put on there, it'll never even begin to plane at 5mph....it's just a bulldozer in the water at that speed, and you'll have to live with it.... :)

Capt Ken

Commander

Yes, but it might improve his 0-5 mph time. Never know when it may come in handy.

Capt Ken

Commander

Just to add a funny addition to using fins. Several years ago, I had a customer come in with a 20 center console with a 200 Mercury that complained that it only plowed water, wouldn't plane. I checked, rechecked, and triple checked everything. Couldn't figure why it wouldn't plane. Test run the ****ens out of it. One day, laying under the boat, checking the straightness of the hull, I looked up at the fin mounted on the lower unit. On the bottom was printed, This End Up. It was a two piece fin and had turned the motor into a submarine.

Forktail

Ensign

I hate to throw a wrench in it guys, but some of the rivers I navigate run 10-12 mph. So heading up river at a speed of 5 mph would put you above 15 mph. Many boats can get on step at that speed. A hydrofoil/fin would help it get up and stay up. JMO.

walleyehed

Admiral

Guess you'd be breakin' the speed limit going back, if thats the case......... :D

Forktail

Ensign

I knew that would throw a wrench in it! :D <br /><br />That's why they have hp limits on rivers here instead of speed limits. <br /><br />A 5 mph speed limit? That's rediculous. Nothing personal, but the UK sounds like California! :confused: