Crossflow carbs?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
They'll fit and work fine. As far as picking up speed, you may not. It may be slower on holeshot. The 150 XP/GT carbs were pretty good as is. <br /><br />If you can try them for free, I'd do it.<br /><br />Are you sure your set up is maxed out now?

ceckman

Recruit
Crossflow carbs?

I have a 1989 150 GT crossflow. Could anyone tell me if 175 crossflow carbs would fit or even work? If so would I have to change the intake or are they the same? I would like to get a little more Speed out of it ( It's a Bass Boat thing). I would be happy for anyones help. Thanks

ceckman

Recruit
Re: Crossflow carbs?

I have owned this boat/motor since new. However I have not worked on it myself until recently.I found I enjoy doing it! There are many things I don't know how to do, but I'm learning. I purchased an OMC manual. As far as my set up being maxed out, no I'm not sure. If you can point me in the right direction - We'll"git er done"! Thanks for the reply!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Post the top rpm, top (accurate) speed and prop pitch. We'll start with calculating prop slip %.<br /><br />Also if you have a jackplate or not.

ceckman

Recruit

I'll take it out tomorrow for accurate RPM and speed readings. Ice didn't form yet here in PA! Normally WOT is at 5200 RPM at 50-52MPH. (Speedometer reading). I have a 14.5X24 Raker SS prop. This is on a 17.5 foot Skeeter. I do not have a jackplate, but have concidered getting one (if it would help).I would not know where to begin as far as "setback". Maybe it's getting old, like me! Last week I did a comp test, all were 85-90. Maybe it's time for a rebuild? Thanks again for your time and info!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds good. Excellent prop although you wont go wrong on a jackplate. At 5200 youre lugging the motor and are using no where near the available power. <br /><br />If it were mine, I'd get a Bob's Machine 5" plate. It'll swap inside out for a 3" setback and with 2" spacers you can test at 3", 5" and 7". <br /><br />Aint this fun?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You'll not regret it. Bob is a super guy. Once you talk to him I bet he can tell you exactly where you need to be. Tell him I said hello.<br /><br />Anything I can do to help, just let me know!<br /><br />Good luck!

ceckman

Recruit

Dhadley - I checked out Bob's machine web site and their jackplates. I'll order their 5" jackplate, get it on and in the water. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm throwing the carb idea out the window ( at least for now). I may need your advice on how high or the correct height to begin. Can't wait to begin - Thanks again!!