Evinrude 6hp repair - not starting

jakeboomer

Cadet
I inherited a 1985 Evinrude 6hp, Model E6RCO. The previous owner believes it needs a new waterpump and fuel pump. I tested the fuel pump and it leaks, while not providing a very steady stream. I am currently looking for a new one. I have also checked the carb jets and float valve. All the passages and needles are clean, although I haven't rebuilt it yet.<br /><br />The problem is the motor won't turn over or fire at all. I can prime the carb until the float prevents any more fuel from entering, and a spark test showed both plugs will fire. The problem is, the motor won't fire after many pulls at all. I figured it might have been flooded, but the spark plugs aren't wet during inspection. <br /><br />I am not sure the exact configuration of the kill switch, as there in no C clamp on it. I did however recieve a spark when pulling the starter cable.<br /><br />Does anybody have any clues on where to start. I am already ordering a new fuel pump, and water pump just in case. Mostly, I am worried that the engine won't fire with fuel in the bowl.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br />Jake Boomer

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 6hp repair - not starting

Hi, Jake.<br /><br />Go to Engine FAQs and do the troubleshooting in "Outboard wont start". That should narrow down the possibilities.<br /><br />If your trouble isn't obvious by then, come back to this thread and tell us what you found.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems that the dry plugs would indicate that no fuel is getting to the cylinders. I would humbly suggest that a thorough carb cleaning is in order as a starting point. <br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You can rule out the kill switch right off - if it was shorted out you'd have no spark.<br /><br />The leaky fuel pump - is it coming from the plastic cap? If so, they are available, as are the rubber gasket that it seats upon. The caps often crack if someone torques the retaining screw a bit too much. Might be a cheap fix for you.<br /><br />As for the other problem, I think it's time to remove the carb and do a thorough cleaning and reassembly. A manual would be a wise investment.<br /><br />- Scott

jakeboomer

Cadet

Thanks the advice guys. The first thing I did was pull and inspect the carb. The high speed orifice (no high speed needle on this model) was blocked, but after cleaning that everything looked good. According to the Seloc manual I have, the float and pin valve operated correctly, and I also pulled and cleaned the low speed needle. I reused the intake and bowl gaskets as they almost looked brand new. <br /><br />Last night I ran a compression check and got 89psi on both cylinders. I believe the compression gauge might be suspect for the lower numbers, as it gives lower than expected numbers on two very well kept, late model snowmobiles.<br /><br />I also ran a spark test, by pulling the plug wires and holding them 1/4 inch from the powerhead. When pulling the starter rope, both plugs wires will bridge the gap with a strong spark. I also can squeeze the fuel bulb and hear gas fill into the carb until the float rises and shuts off the fuel input.<br /><br />So here's my concern, there is fuel in the bowl, it didn't appear that jets we're clogged, but after trying to start many times, there is no fuel in the cylinder head. If fuel wasn't being ignited, wouldn't the plugs be wet? Upon inspection the plugs aren't wet at all. My assumption is, fuel isn't leaving the float bowl and getting into the engine. Any ideas? I plan on pulling the carb tonight and hitting it with lots of carb cleaner.<br /><br />Thanks again for you guys's help.<br />Jake Boomer

ob

Admiral

Not familiar with your particular carbs but if there is a pickup tube in the float bowl,they are prone to restrictions from old fuel.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Jake.<br /><br />It is very easy to clean a carb and still have blocked orifices. Try air pressure or a fine plastic wire (strand from poly rope works for me). Soft metal (aluminum, copper) is last choice, but better than nothing.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jakeboomer

Cadet

I will try these things tonight and report results. Thanks again.

jakeboomer

Cadet

I better finish this topic off, so anybody doing research knows what finally tipped the scales. <br /><br />Completely tore down the carb and cleaned out the high speed orifice again (there was more junk in it.) Replaced carb with slow speed needle at Seloc manual recommendation. Replaced plugs again. Started on the third pull. Must have been the carb. I am not sure what caused the high speed to get clogged again, since there was nothing in the bowl or fuel line when I checked. <br /><br />I only ran the engine for a minute since the impeller is not working. I removed the lower end and noticed the pick-up nozzle wasn't properly seated. Going to purchase a new water pump and give it another try. <br /><br />Does anybody know if this engine has a thermostat. I have seen references on this board to them, but there is nothing mentioned in my repair manual. Is there a good way to check for blockages in the cooling system?<br /><br />Thanks again for everyone's help.<br />Boomer

Xcusme

Commander

Yes, you should have a thermostat. Look for the triangular cover above the top spark plug, the cover has 3 bolts.<br /><br />When you have the lower unit off to replace the water pump, you can rig a garden hose with a smaller bit of tubing and attach the tubing to the water pickup tube. If the thermostat is out, you should see water gushing out of the thermostat housing.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I have a 1984 6hp model. Last time I did any major work on it I realised that it was possible to swap the high voltage modules over on rebuilding resulting in the top plug sparking when the lower one should be and vice versa. Is it possible that these modules have been swapped over on your engine. <br />I hope you can understand what I mean.