STARTING BATTERY

MOMO

Cadet
STARTING BATTERY

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY MY STARTER BATTERY WOULD KEEP GOING DOWN ? THIS IS MY THIRD NEW BATTERY. RUNNING JOHNSON 175 HP 96 MODEL. I NOTICED AFTER FINALLY GETTING STARTED THAT MY TACH WAS NOT WORKING WHILE RUNNING. I HAVE ON BOARD CHARGER THAT I KEEP PLUGGED IN WHEN NOT IN USE. COULD THIS BE BURNING MY BATTERY ? IS CHARGER CHARGING CRANK BATTERY AND TROLL BATTERIES OR JUST TROLL BATTERIES ? THANKS !!!

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: STARTING BATTERY

Also charger is probably only doing the troll batteries.Look at the charger,count the sets of red/black leads,and where they go.<br /><br />DHP

KCLOST

Commander

Are you sure you have everything turned off???? :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to JohnnyRude Troubles.<br /><br />Please lose the all capitals. You seem to be SHOUTING.

KiHoPro

Cadet

At anytime did you connect the battery backwards? I know full well what this will do to your rectifier! DOHT!

KiHoPro

Cadet

Just for nice relaxing, enjoyable, shove bamboo shoots under my finger nails reading, I was going through the Seloc manual for my O/B. <br /><br />First, get yourself a good manual. A good place to start looking is your charging system. The alternator or generator may not be charging your battery. <br /><br />Next, check your rectifier. The rectifier changes an AC to DC to charge the battery. The rectifier houses the diodes or one-way gates. The diodes are the flow gates or check balls that allow the electrons to only flow in one direction. If the diodes are blow “like in my case” the battery won’t get a proper charge. The electrons will flow back up the line of sorts.<br /><br />Good luck?