Can you help me identify what the HP and Year of this engine is please!

jcal346

Cadet
I have recently purchase a 1990 Chris Craft Sea Hawk. I have looked 10 times and I cannot find the ID plate to tell me what engine I have. It is not a 1990, since Johnson did not make a 110 in '90. This raises questions as to what is the size and year. The only number I can find on the mounting bracket (stamped - no plate), is on the starboard side: 186110 30HN2 <br />I believe the number on the freeze plug (silvery button on top of block?) is R8183504. I looked in the previously posted topics as recommended, followed numerous links, but have not been able to identify the engine. I am not even sure if I have the right number for identification. Help please. :confused:

zdmaster2k

Seaman
Re: Can you help me identify what the HP and Year of this engine is please!

jcal, I think they're serial numbers, one for the bracket and perhaps the other for the powerhead. You can only really ID a motor with the model number but, you've looked in both the places I know! I'm sure someone on here with far more wisdom than me can help you out! Best of luck

jcal346

Cadet

I found a number stamped in the block, but it is a little hard to read. The best I coud do with it was 1866936 61N2. This is stamped between the cylinder heads, just above the recirc cover. Does anyone have any other ideas of where to look? Thanks LDSA Bosun for the reply.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK lets start at the begining. We assume that since you mention its a 110 that you have a V4 crossflow with the "bubble back" exhaust plates, correct?

jcal346

Cadet

Sorry Dhadley, I am a little foggy with the terms you used. It is a V4. Not sure about crossflow, or "bubble back" exhaust plates??? Sorry to show my ignorance. I have just never heard the terms.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No problem at all. A crossflow has plates bolted on the sides (2 on each side), covers bolted on the heads and the exhaust plates (between the heads) are bolted on. In short - a lot of covers with bolts.<br /><br />A looper doesnt have any of these bolted on covers.<br /><br />I have a feeling some of those numbers are numbers stamped on the block after a rebuild.

jcal346

Cadet

Yes, I have the bolted on covers you are speaking of.

jcal346

Cadet

Dhadley, do you know of a way to determine the model number and year from the serial number?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, thats a crossflow. 2 questions --<br /><br />Are the exhaust plates (2 large verticle plates between the heads) flat or is there a hump?<br /><br />You mentioned 110. Did someone tell you thats the horsepower?

jcal346

Cadet

There is a hump on the vertical plates. <br /><br />I was under the impression the engine was a 110HP since that is what the engine cover was. I didn't realize Johnson didn't make a 110 in '90 until I started looking for parts for it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, no problem. It probably is indeed a 110. They only made them from 1986 to 89, I believe. They are all basically the same. <br /><br />Perhaps we can narrow it down a bit further. <br /><br />This may be a bit tough to describe -- look at what the throttle cable connects to and moves on the powerhead. It should be a verticle arm. At the top of that arm there is a plastic piece that connects to a rod going under the flywheel. <br /><br />Is there only one hole for that rod or 3?

jcal346

Cadet

I am not at my boat right now. Is there any info you can provide in advance, as far as, if there is three, then it is x, and if there is one it is y? What are the chances this may be a 115hp, or a 100hp? Weren't they V4 cross flow systems with "bubbleback" exhaust plates? I don't mean to offend with the questions.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it has one hole its probably a 1986. If theres 3 then its 87, 88 or 89. I'd guess -- if you think the motor has been on the boat since new -- that its a 1989. <br /><br />The tuned exhaust came on crossflow 140's, some 115's, 112's and 110's. <br /><br />The parts and pieces are so similar that it may be hard to narrow it down to the exact year, especially if some parts had been upgraded. However, because the parts are similar - or identical - the exact year may not be necessary when looking for parts.<br /><br />What parts are you looking for?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh BTW -- dont ever worry about asking questions. Nobody ever woke up one day knowing this stuff automatically. Heck, I bugged people to death asking stuff. Still do. <br /><br />Most, if not all, the folks here enjoy answering questions. Its a way to give back to the boating community. Sometimes when I'm on the road and away from the computer I feel guilty.<br /><br />The important thing is to get your rig running as best it can so it serves you well for a long time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dHadley<br /> begging your pardon. at 18, I woke up one day and knew all the answers<br /> However<br /> now I cant remember the questions :) :) <br />I have a 110 out back about 85 or so and I will look to see if I can assist.<br /> If I can I will.<br /> dont sweat questions<br /> I question myself everyday<br /> :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How true....<br /><br />And it seems like the questions were a lot easier when I knew it all.....