water seeping out of spark plug whole

boltbreaker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm working on a 1979 75 HP Johsnon 3 cyl stinger(stinker). It has 150/135/150 #'s of compression on the cyl. I noticed the #2 spark plug showed evidence of moisture and the threads were 90% gone so I pulled the head, tapped hole and put in insert, and replaced the head with a new gasket. My factory service manual states that head bolts are to be tightend to 10-12 ft pnds. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that low so I torqed them by hand, and am sure they have more than the spec. I was very carefull and tightened them all evenly. They are probably at close to the same tightness as you would have a spark plug. I have a slight amount of water leaking around the spark plug whole(maybe where the insert is) when the engine is running. The plug is not getting milky, and I don't notice water spewing out the whole when it(spark plug) is removed after running the engine. It's definitly a slow and steady leak coming from there though. Any suggestions? Is there anyway to tell if it's the head or exhaust gasket? How sensitve are these with the torque specs? Cracked head?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: water seeping out of spark plug whole

breaker...take a good look and see if it's coming from around the spark plug hole. Probably is. Just remove the head cover and replace the gasket. The head cover is that plate on the front of the head held on by a bunch of bolts. And get a torque wrench and double check the torques. Bet they are over.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: water seeping out of spark plug whole

OBJ is right.your cylinder head has a water cover on it,and it's gasket is leaking.It is bolted to the cylinder head,probably with 1/4 x 20 bolts,almost in a circular pattern around each cylinder.<br /><br />DHP