Johnson Ocean Runner peaks at 5000 RPM

SUBWAYJO

Cadet
I have a pair of 1994 200 hp Johnson Ocean Runners, one peaks out at 5000 rpm and the other at 6000, I just changed all the plugs. any suggestions. Joe

ob

Admiral
Re: Johnson Ocean Runner peaks at 5000 RPM

Assuming these engines are propped the smae and driving the same boat as a pair I would perform a spark test on the engine and insure you're getting fire to all of the cylinders.If that checks out ,a compression test would be next.All good there?May be fouled carburetors or a fuel delivery issue.Throttle linkage allowing for full opening of carb flaps?Did all of the sparkplugs look consistent in color and condition on the engine in question?

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similiar problem once and found a bad plug. The plugs were fairly new too.

Orlando Len

Cadet

something else to keep in mind. I had a problem with one engine not spinning up as well as the other.( twin Honda 130) I ran it with the stb throttle lever about an inch further down then port lever to make the tachometers equal. Turns out I had a bad tachometer. Swapping the sensor leads moved the symptom to the port side.