intermittent aural warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Susan

Cadet
06 mercruiser 5.0 I am trying to trace an intermittent aural warning that comes on at different power settings between 2800-3900 rpm. I have good oil pressure and temp on the cockpit gauge and both sensors were replaced. Even though I checked them with a meter and turned out to be good. I also replaced the impeller. Is the oil control module next?

Last edited:

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: intermittent aural warning

Depends... What kind of engine are we talking about here? Who's the manufacturer? Is it inboard, or outboard? what model?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You do realize the alarm switchs are different from gauge senders don't you?

Lazy Susan

Cadet

You do realize the alarm switchs are different from gauge senders don't you?

So which do you believe? If the guage reads good and you are getting an intermittent warning that goes away with different power settings who do you go with?

havasuboatman

Ensign

On your motor, look for a tan wire with a blue stripe. That is the sender wire for your warning alarm. Now, is the alarm constant, or a double beep?
Also, does your boat have an drive oil resivouir installed?
What is the year of the engine? Mercruiser has been using 5.0's for a long time.

Don S

It's simple. If it's overheating, the engine iwll be HOT. If no oil pressure the lifters will start rattling first. If the gear lube is low, you can see that in the reservoir.
If none of the above is happening, the disconnect the alarm senders one at a time and see which one is causing the alarm to sound.

Lazy Susan

Cadet

On your motor, look for a tan wire with a blue stripe. That is the sender wire for your warning alarm. Now, is the alarm constant, or a double beep?
Also, does your boat have an drive oil resivouir installed?
What is the year of the engine? Mercruiser has been using 5.0's for a long time.

It was manufactured in aug of 06. The alarm is strange. It is sometimes a short beep and sometimes stays on for 30 sec. It has an oil res. installed. It is full.

Lazy Susan

Cadet

It's simple. If it's overheating, the engine iwll be HOT. If no oil pressure the lifters will start rattling first. If the gear lube is low, you can see that in the reservoir.
If none of the above is happening, the disconnect the alarm senders one at a time and see which one is causing the alarm to sound.

I did all of these things and still the same thing is happening.

Don S

Are you sure you disconnected the right senders?

Don S

The oil sender is by the filter and the temp is on the other side.

Nope, you don't know where they are at.

Go up to the adults only sticky and download the OEM service manual for your engine. Lots of details and pictures in the manual.

stingray240

Cadet

It sounds like it the idle air control valve. It is a common problem on the 5.0 mpi motors. It cost about 100 bucks takes two minutes to put in.I had the same problem on mine which is a 2006 5.0 mpi

Don S

It sounds like it the idle air control valve. It is a common problem on the 5.0 mpi motors. It cost about 100 bucks takes two minutes to put in.I had the same problem on mine which is a 2006 5.0 mpi

IAC's do NOT set off an audible alarm, and it's not a "Common" problem.

MAckayQLD

Recruit

I had a similar issue with a VP. It turned out to be corrosion in the connector that went to the Engine Over Temp Alarm Switch. I cut the corroded connector off and replaced it with a female spade connector specified by Cummins for off highway trucks ( Mining ). This connector is essentially the same as a normal crimp connector with the addition of a glued heat shrink shield to stop moisture ingress from the wire side. Result; no more false or intermittent alarms.

stingray240

Cadet

Iac does set off an alarm. You need to talk to your local dealer. The parts department sells so many of them he doesnt even have to look up the part number

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Iac does set off an alarm. You need to talk to your local dealer. The parts department sells so many of them he doesnt even have to look up the part number

Hate to tell you but Don probably works on more units per year than Your local dealer.

ecjsn5754

Recruit

We have 1998 5.0, alpha 1. intermittent engine alarm going off. It sounds in short beeps at any rpm, hot cold, random. Disconnected out drive oil res sensor connector, engine coolant temperature sensor, both oil pressure sending units and alarm still sounds. I another forum I read that the IAC WAS the problem, was not exactly the same year, honestly I have read so many post can't recall the details. BTW I have talked to the local Mercury service centers, basically they said DUH, so please don't patronize me. We have consulted regional Mercury rep, he said he would come back when boat could be run and plug his diagnostic computer into it, he said he could read codes the local service mechanic cannot. It seems to be a mystery what actually will set off the alarm, we have a service manual which is worthless, and frankly I don?t understand why the possible sources for alarm activation are not listed there, you would think that might be good information for an operator to have.
By the way we had just solved another problem with port engine, we had a tach that jumped around about 2800 and engine lost power, $600 in parts and labor($300 of which was from local Mercury mechanic) and many hours of swapping part between engine, again no ?professional mechanic? had a clue, we found a forum, it was the neutral cut out switch in the engine mounted throttle shift control, $25. Please keep in mind and pass on to anyone with erratic tach and low power.

Don S

Welcome aboard ecjsn5754
When asking a question, it's always best to start a new thread of your own. Hijacking someone elses old thread only makes your post hard to find and often overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.