Granulated Pre-Emergent Herbicides

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
This summer I have been fighting the weed battle with fair results.I would like to put some pre-emergent out this fall but don't feel that the info I have been given will do the trick.:confused:

So I would like to pick the brains of the people I trust to give the best recommendations for what to use for the usual weeds(dandelion-thistle-creeping charlie-clover-crabgrass).

I am asking now as most of these items will not be on the shelves much longer.

Thanx In Advance.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Granulated Pre-Emergent Herbicides

I don't knoww. i am used to putting the grass seed down in the fall and the preemergent goes down in early Spring before it warms up and the weed seed sprout.

You have fall sprouting weeds?

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I should clarify.I should have said late fall/early winter application.I have heard that lots of people in the Northland do this with great success.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

You must have a County Agricultural Extension Service, I don'tthink the budget cuts have wiped them all out yet (my sister is still employed at the moment). I'd call your county office and ask for their turf management reccomendations.

My experience is still that cool weather grass is best seeded in the fall and the preemergent goes down in Spring. Here about the time that forsythia bloom.

Seems a waste to put it down on the fall as the chemicals breakdown and aren't effective on the seed until the temperature warms up.

''course maybe things are done differnt up there; though we still plant cool season grass here too.

mscher

Lieutenant

You don't need a pre-emergence for the weeds you have indicated.

They can be killed with 24D, any time they are activly growing.

Now is a great time to treat lawns for theses weeds.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Crab-grass definatley needs preemergent for effecttive control. Once it's up any chemical that will kill it will also brown or kill your lawn. Preemergents are best applied in the spring. Although they may stay in the soil over winter and be effective when spring comes they are not as effective as applying "fresh".