alpha 1 mercruiser

qnnjaq3

Cadet
I have removed lower unit and i can not get it in forward. reverse and neutral no problem at all . any help please.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: alpha 1 mercruiser

you need to turn the prop ccw and at the same time turn the shift shaft facing forward and make sure you maintain pressure on the prop as to not lose the forward hear and then the lower unit should slide in.

Any thing else let us know.

qnnjaq3

Cadet

i replaced boot and gimbal. i did that when i put everything together.had every thing working with muffs on. put the boat in the water had nothing. pulled back out dropped lower i have reverse and neutral , but rotating prop ccw and shift switch clock wise can not get forward. do you think i bent shift switch?

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what happens when you put it in forward and try spinning the prop either direction? I actually did bend my shift shaft back alittle and caused me all kinds of problems also the upper shift shaft was bent a little at the end and would not allow mine to go in reverse, i would check them both and make sure they are straight

qnnjaq3

Cadet

I think its the shift cam. Can i replace this with out disassembling lower unit.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's Not the shift cam,...
You just Didn't have EVERYTHING in Forward when you put the lower unit back on...
Take it Off,+ Try again...

qnnjaq3

Cadet

With the lower unit off i cant get in forward. reversr and neutral not a problem. ran prop ccw and swift arm clock wise will not go in forward. i know that this lower is good but i think i may have bent shift cam.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If you tried to force the unit up without the correct shift shoe alignment ,you most likely bent the shift crank in the lower unit.
Did you try to force it on with the nuts??????????????????????????

Bondo

Staff member

Thats affirmative captain. so how do i fix this?

Ayuh,... It's clearly explained in the factory service manual, which is available up in the Adults Only section of this forum...