New boat has arived! & my day after thoughts...

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New boat has arived! & my day after thoughts...

The bottom of the boat is straight, its not hooked, just not the keel....

I'm adjusting my other trailer right now, to get the bunks lined up. It'll be off the roller trailer soon.

fishrdan

Admiral

You could use Durafix for some of the smaller aluminum repairs,,, heck maybe even some of the big ones???

I used it for the first time last night and was pretty impressed,,, brazed a zinc plated steel nut onto an aluminum rod holder base :D

While practicing I melted a thin scrap piece of aluminum I was working on into 2 pieces (MAPP gas gets pretty hot), so you have to watch the temperature of the aluminum parent material. Other than that it looked like a pretty cool product for us guys who don't have access to an aluminum welder.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some friends came over and we gave it the old he-ho onto the other trailer:

l_ff80223f5adb4db0a17c92d75706cabe.jpg

l_6cd03f33f2054137ad4412478b803c0b.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lookslike you are readt for a project.....thats cool......ask a mod to move the thread to the resto garage and lets have atter...

but a level wont be enough to see a hook....use a stringline....they dont lie

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

String line......? explain

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There seems to be some misconceptions about roller trailers and tin boats. First, the keel is the strongest part of the boat and is not just riveted onto the aluminum sheet. Tin boats have lateral ribs as well as longitudinal stringers inside the hull that keeps all of these pieces in alignment. Yes, the keel is just riveted on but it is an integral part of the boats rib/strake/stringer/keel structure. So a properly adjusted roller trailer can be used with a tin boat. If that were not the case, there would be an abundance of bad boats in the northwoods as the vast majority of tin boats ride on roller trailers including my own. And it travels thousands of miles a year on less than ideal roads. Now then, in this case, the keel isn't even touching the keel rollers. The wobble rollers are also sitting under a strake which is a definite no-no. I'm also guessing the bow in the bottom of the boat was caused by retrieving the boat from shallow water. With the trailer not deep enough, the tendency is to get the bow on the trailer and then winch the boat up. However, once the boat gets to the center of the rear keel roller, the winch now begins a downward pull on the bow which puts tremendous stress on the keel and it bends. Remember, all the weight is at the back of the boat so this "see-saw" situation can easily crack or bend a keel.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

String line......? explain

Take a spool of string, nylon works well (or anything thats not fuzzy like hemp) and attach to the bow, like the bow eye. Then run the string under the boat to the transom and pull tight. You will see how much and where the keel deviates from the string.

The keel of every boat I have seen is straight as an arrow and curves up in the bow. If the keel is not straight, either vertically or horizontally, the boat will handle poorly. It is hard to repair, especially on a fiberglass boat. Generally the advice to owners of boats with a hook or bent keel is to replace the boat, as it is not worth the time or expense to fix it.

I advised you to dispose of the boat and get another because I was under the impression that you wanted to get a boat and go boating, not work a big project.

Good luck with these repairs.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Glad to see you got it off that roller trailer! Now what's you plan. Are you thinking you should pull that top off? That would be my first move. I've taken a couple of boats apart and the best way I've found is to try and reverse engineer it. I try to figure out the last thing that was done and work backwards from there. The other thing is to try not to use the sawzall unless you absolutely have to. It will take a little longer but I often find myself understanding the prior owner a little better and that sometimes makes the next steps easier and often more bearable.

The number one thing you do not want to do right now is mess with the transom. The transom is like a keystone for boats. If that is a Western (maybe a West Coaster) like I think it is, then the transom is welded on and the struts from the rub rail to the top of the transom are keystone supports. Mess with either of those right now and you'll never get the boat back to normal.

So, what are you waiting for, get to work... LOL

As a side note: Save that aluminum that you scrap out. Sell it or re-use it for bracing and backing.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the top is bolted on, it'll come right off.

Transom Isn't roted at all, I already bolted the outboard to it.

I'm going to go hunt down some string and see whats up. I figured as I already have everything needed to get it lake-worthy, I might as well give it a test launch and see what happened. ...while wearing a life jacket of course.

And I don't think I should just go take the cap off right away, as, The controls/steering system is part of the cap, I wouldn't have anyway to test launch it.

I got myself a suitable replacement to a string and gave it a shot. Now there is a 1' x 1' dent in the center, but, the thing is straight.

Nandy

Commander

Take it for a ride, decide what to do afterward.... That is what I would do. Just make sure you start slowly, dont just go wot until you have ride it for a while at lower speeds.
Good luck.

jonesg

Admiral

Take it for a ride, decide what to do afterward.... That is what I would do. Just make sure you start slowly, dont just go wot until you have ride it for a while at lower speeds.
Good luck.

ditto,

until you float it and put power to it .... its speculation,
it doesn't look great but I'd want to see how it actually reacts under power before rebuilding. Just use common sense.

Personally I would clean it up and sell it, then look for what I really want and fix that one up.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Re Test Ride: Might want to make sure the bilge pump is working and take along an extra battery, (fully charged of course). Have fun.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1 1/4" Transom?!

l_6258add27e204e32a4c8298a345d7f7c.jpg

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I'm also guessing the bow in the bottom of the boat was caused by retrieving the boat from shallow water. With the trailer not deep enough, the tendency is to get the bow on the trailer and then winch the boat up. However, once the boat gets to the center of the rear keel roller, the winch now begins a downward pull on the bow which puts tremendous stress on the keel and it bends. Remember, all the weight is at the back of the boat so this "see-saw" situation can easily crack or bend a keel.

I think you're right about the cause of the damage. I watched a guy damage a much smaller AL boat like that once. Winched it up over the bunks with the engine, TM, batteries, gas tank and such still in the back. It bent pretty good about midway along the hull, just as the winch started pulling the bow down, just as you described.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Thats a typical Western trick. Wait until you pull it out and find that the back side is two pieces. Flex City !... I solved it by placing a piece of directional Carbon Fiber mat thoroughly wetted in between two pieces of 1/2" marine ply. Then I made up any difference with a piece of 1/8" Luan door skin, (use lots of clamps to keep it straight and flat).

I then soaked it good with Copper Green and sealed the with two coats of Oil Base Rustoleum. After that was completely dry, (one week at room temp). I scuff sanded it with 60 grit, and let it continue to dry for another week. When I was satisfied that it was dry enough to not oxidize through the surface skin, I sealed the entire transom with GluVit and put it back in. The metal work will actually handle up to 1-3/8 and it should fit snug but not too tight.

You probably don't need to do all the finishing that I did, a coat of good Marine Spar Varnish thinned for penetration would probably work just as well. I'm one of those do it once with the intention of never doing it again guys.

Steve

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, it was launched today....

It did great!

there was only me and another boat on the lake today, I wanted there to be a lot of chop to see how it handled, there wasnt much, but enough. I got the other boater do go around in circles a few times to get me some rough water, and it did just fine.

Steering and handling was great. only thing that sucked was the seating.

well, time for that cap to come off

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sometimes you never know for sure until you try. Congratulations.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that thing is hooked man.....i can see it.....the ribbon you are using to test it with is twisted.......

go get your self some stringline....and hold the string on several different places ...from the transom to a point in the hull slightly ahead of amidships. then at 1/4 point from the bow....the hook is around 1-2 inches

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see what your saying, but along the other sides of the bunks the lines are nice and straight.

the keel is bent no doubt about it, but even under the deck, the stingers, or braces/supports are straight.