"Check engine light"

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer
Check Engine light came on in my "02 Tacoma. Took it to the shop, they plugged it into the diagnostic computer, my guy sez it's the front sensor, gotta order it. Gets it 3 days later, does thew install, plugs it back in to clear the codes, I motor on down the road. 2 days later, you guessed it, "Check Engine" light again. Back to the shop, plugs it in, sez,, "Looks like the REAR sensor", gotta order it. 3 days later, does the install, I ask "How much?', he says, "Drive it a couple weeks, see what happens". Stopped at the shop today, told him no more light, he says, "Guess we fixed it, then." I said, "So, what do I owe ya?" , he sez, "I made a bad diagnosis, happy motoring". Seems rare to find that these days, just wanted to share the glow.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: "Check engine light"

wow that is hard to belive plus i am willing to bet if you needed the back one you needed the front one anyway

mthieme

Captain

Hoss,
you found one of the good guys.
Good for you.

I just had an image of a Check Engine light in boats one day. AAaaaaaaaahh.:(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good story.

Just FYI when I worked at the Toyota dealership...... I had a similar problem with my Tacoma and then in my 4Runner. The one thing I can swear to and learned is that when it comes to Toyota sensors..... use the OEM. Eveytime someone tries to save a few bucks with an aftermarket .....they crap out.

puddle jumper

Captain

Good story.

Just FYI when I worked at the Toyota dealership...... I had a similar problem with my Tacoma and then in my 4Runner. The one thing I can swear to and learned is that when it comes to Toyota sensors..... use the OEM. Eveytime someone tries to save a few bucks with an aftermarket .....they crap out.

and the best tail light bulbs you can buy.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WoW that about unheard of these days. Its nice to hear about an honest mechanic it ended up costing him some $$ but in the long run got a happy customer that will tell others about it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Mine came on so I opened the hood and checked the engine........it was still there so I closed the hood and carried on driving............LOL
Don't know how we survived without those lights many years ago !!!! My local mechanic calls them "guaranteed income lights" for those that bring them in to him.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Mine came on so I opened the hood and checked the engine........it was still there so I closed the hood and carried on driving............LOL.

And how many of us place black electrical tape over the darn light?:D

mthieme

Captain

I was tempted to do that with the ABS light when it came on.
It went out a coupla/few months later on it's own though.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Except that you need 'em off to smog it. At least in CA. So i fix mine every two years!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Except that you need 'em off to smog it. At least in CA. So i fix mine every two years!

I take the tape off it and re-set the system 200 yards before the emission test. Generally lasts for a few days before coming back on. Then it's back to the tape !!!! (till next time that is)

Pierutrus

I take the tape off it and re-set the system 200 yards before the emission test. Generally lasts for a few days before coming back on. Then it's back to the tape !!!! (till next time that is)

That doesn't work.:p
The emission tester will come back with insufficient data and not pass.
After you do a reset on the vehicle it has to be run for about 25 miles to set the perimeters for the tester to read.

Best thing to do is....

A) Get it registered in a county that doesn't smog.:D

OR

B) Get the problem fixed.:eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

That doesn't work.:p
The emission tester will come back with insufficient data and not pass.
After you do a reset on the vehicle it has to be run for about 25 miles to set the perimeters for the tester to read.

Best thing to do is....

A) Get it registered in a county that doesn't smog.:D

OR

B) Get the problem fixed.:eek:

It has worked for the last 6 years up here in Canada. That and a little acetone in an almost empty tank sure cleans it up.
Maybe it will not work in your area but it sure does here.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I hope you tell everyone you know about that mechanic - he deserves the plug!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

What a refreshing story in this day and age. The local TV station sent a car around with a mini cam under the hood with an easy fix, plugging an obvious connector back in. At least three out of four of the shops quoted repairs from $100 to over $400. I used to be able to fix anything and then the cars got smarter than me :p

Pierutrus

Works at any emission testing station. I have used several different ones.

What do you pay them over and above to pass?
As you can see, I still disagree.
Or I need to move to Canada.:D

Any smog tech's out there to shed some light on the subject?:cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner