Where can I fit transducer, pitot tube and speed wheel?

Moody Blue

Captain
Adding a fish finder to an older deep V fiberglass boat (Wilker). Have the transducer and a speed wheel (with temp sensor) for trolling along with the original pitot tube for the speedo.

Any experience with how close I can install these parts to each other.

Currently the pitot is about 18" to starboard of the motor. Planning on putting the speed wheel on port side about 18" from motor. Can't see a good spot for the transducer other than next (6") to the pitot tube. Will they interfere with each other do you think (turbulence)?

Any suggestions?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Where can I fit transducer, pitot tube and speed wheel?

The speedo pitot is completely passive. You could install the transducer right next to it and not have a problem.

Are the transducer and paddle wheel a single unit or can you split them apart... The reason I ask is because mine are split and I've installed the transducer in a wet box I created inside the boat, in the engine bay. I have fantastic results.... I still get a bottom lock at 40 knots!!!

Chris.............

Moody Blue

Captain

Transducer and paddle wheel are separate units.

Concerned that the pitot tube will cause turbulence in the water and therefore interfere with the transducer.

THought about the shoot-thru-hull approach but it seems too uncertain for me.

gonefishie

Commander

I would be more concern about the turbulance caused by the hull of your boat then the speed wheel. I would find a good spot for the xducer on the port side and then you could just mount the speed wheel next to the speedo tube if you want to.

rndn

Commander

I have my pitot, transducer, and speed/temp wheel all mounted right next to each other on the starboard side and have never had an issue. Right next to each other is about 1/2 inch.