New seals on right side of cylinder for tilt & trim?????

lbranch22

Recruit
I am in the process of purchasing a 1988 Bayliner Boat, with a 88 Mercury 150 HP outboard motor. The guy says the only thing wrong with the motor is that the seals on the right cylinder of the tilt & trim need replacing,(he has parts)..Is this a bad thing and is it expensive to have put on???? Any help please....Guy is asking what I think is a decent price for the boat, but am afraid may be more to this "seal" than what I am aware of...:confused:

gregpro50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New seals on right side of cylinder for tilt & trim?????

If it is in fact the seals leaking, they can be replaced with a reasonably priced O-ring kit. I am doing this with mine now.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would call a dealer and ask him how much to reseal a trim cylinder. That should give you some leaverage with the owner.

You may be able to do it yourself, however some of those PTT units required special tools. An OEM Service Manual would provide this info...

lbranch22

Recruit

thank you for your responses, he said there was oil leaking from this, so they just have not been using the tilt trim, does that sound right?

gregpro50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds right. Mine leaked from the middle cylender. I needed a special spanner wrench to get the cap off so I made one instead of buying one. Then you just pop the piston out and replace the O-rings.

As mentioned, it would still be a good idea to get some input from the dealer as to what it would cost to fix it. At the very least it could give you some buying leverage.