Tuneup Specs for 50hp Evinrude

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if anyone has the tune up specs, timing, initial idle mixture, plug gap that sort of stuff for a '74 50hp evinrude, 2 cyl.

Or if you know of a place to download a manual that would be great too. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tuneup Specs for 50hp Evinrude

sorry manuals are sold, no free downloads. click Johnson manual top right this page. evinrude and johnson are the same thing, different paint.

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

People used to pass on links to download other manuals, I believe merc io manuals. I was hoping someone had something similar. As for buying a manul from this website, I doubt I would I would just go buyone locally the shipping and duty would kill me. I am just waiting for the manual to get checked back in at the library, so I was hoping someone would be able to pass on some initial timing specs, gap etc...

JB

That was before we started cracking down on copyright violations, jedi. If you can find a factory manual locally, you can probably save shipping and duty charges, but I really doubt that there is any chance to find one locally. You might also try eBay.

Good luck. You are wise to want factory instructions before you mess with that engine. :)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Just worked on a buddies 74 50.

Plugs at .040

Idle 2 1/2 turns out and work from there

Timing 19 at full advance 2 at idle.

Seemed to work pretty good on his, it wouldn't idle, got to looking and the idle screws were at 1/4 an 1 out which worked about like you think.

Get a manual but this should get you in the ballpark

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I didn't mean to cause a fuss about the download, I don't mind buying one if I need to, was just looking for a ball park to make sure its not gonna blow up when I crank it over. Hopefully I can get to the library today.

tashasdaddy

a person whos works on an outboard, without a manual, has a fool for a client. there is some much stuff that you can screw up, it can take a week to sort it out.

JB

Gap the plugs at .030". You can go to .040" if you troll a lot and get into fouling troubles, but .030" will give better allround performance.