Need a compass

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My compass drained all of it's fluid. It is, (was), a Plastimo. I would like it to replace it, but not sure where to find some comparisons. I've heard of Ritchie, but no other names. It is a flush mount model with the cut out hole being 3 1/4", (rather not drill to expand if I do not have to). Looking to stay under $200.

Any suggestions?

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a compass

I dont understand buying a compass for anywhere near $200...why not get a gps? Seems to make way more sense.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I dont understand buying a compass for anywhere near $200...why not get a gps? Seems to make way more sense.

You are absolutely right. The only reason I want to buy it is so I don't have to stare at this thing with a black dial rattling around. Also need to fill the hole. ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

marine coumpasses are a pretty reliable little gaget....they have had a few years to perfect them....

besides the el cheepo version.....your pretty safe with anything....

its good to have a failsafe...(like a compass).....and a gps....

the whole can be filled with a beer holder....:D

ziggy

Admiral

the reason for a real compass is so when your gps quits for no reason and your in need of a compass to navigate...... sorry i've no idea as to what kinda compass for ya to get. if it were me, i'd replace it though....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The original compass on my boat is huge.Its a flush mount and it glows a really cool red at night! I would hate to think what it would cost now days..
I do use it and would miss it if it was gone.Night time i navigate about 16 miles back to the launch ramp.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

the reason for a real compass is so when your gps quits for no reason and your in need of a compass to navigate...... sorry i've no idea as to what kinda compass for ya to get. if it were me, i'd replace it though....
So why not get a backup gps?

Technology is your friend.

ziggy

Admiral

So why not get a backup gps?
that's a good idea, and i'd guess that many folks do have 2 gps's. however, there's nothing saying that them satellites will absolutly always be active. ya know, like if china blasts a few out of the sky, or sabotage comes to mind also.... yer compass will still work. but not your 2 gps's..... i know, pretty unlikely, but ya never know, there's an awefull lot of hate and discontent in the world.... and as were finding out. we ain't always in control. i still vote for the compass. tried and true, well, magnetic.......;)

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the compass if you can not find the origianl fill hole. Go to the drug store and buy a bottle of glycerine. Fill the compass and plug the hole with an epoxy glue or put the original fill plug back in. Motor on.

Aircraft compasses used to be maintained yearly and were filled with pure kerosene. The kerosene had to be changed because it darkened with age.

I know of some that advocate using mineral oil for the dampening fluid, but I don't know its efffects on some of the plastics now used..

Why replace when simple maintenance will work?

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's a good idea, and i'd guess that many folks do have 2 gps's. however, there's nothing saying that them satellites will absolutly always be active. ya know, like if china blasts a few out of the sky, or sabotage comes to mind also.... yer compass will still work. but not your 2 gps's..... i know, pretty unlikely, but ya never know, there's an awefull lot of hate and discontent in the world.... and as were finding out. we ain't always in control. i still vote for the compass. tried and true, well, magnetic.......;)

You have convinced me that it would be a good idea then to have such a backup for traveling the seas. Thanks for the input!:)

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the compass if you can not find the origianl fill hole. Go to the drug store and buy a bottle of glycerine. Fill the compass and plug the hole with an epoxy glue or put the original fill plug back in. Motor on.

Aircraft compasses used to be maintained yearly and were filled with pure kerosene. The kerosene had to be changed because it darkened with age.

I know of some that advocate using mineral oil for the dampening fluid, but I don't know its efffects on some of the plastics now used..

Why replace when simple maintenance will work?

This sounds too easy. I was talking with someone who said it had to be vacuum sealed and sent out to be repaired. Figured it was cheaper to buy new.

bhammer

Ensign

Most all compasses have the ability to change the gasket kit and service them. In aircraft, we do it all the time. The wiskey fluid can be added or changed as needed. You can use glycerin or mineral oil as the fluid. Glycerin willl provide a smoother compass as the vescosity is a little thicker, but it take a little more to react.

Are there any plugs or screws that can be removed on this compass? If not, do what External said and drill a hole. Use a syringe to fill it up but make sure to leave a little bubble (room for expansion) and then wipe it down with acetone and plug the hole with expoy.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most all compasses have the ability to change the gasket kit and service them. In aircraft, we do it all the time. The wiskey fluid can be added or changed as needed. You can use glycerin or mineral oil as the fluid. Glycerin willl provide a smoother compass as the vescosity is a little thicker, but it take a little more to react.

Are there any plugs or screws that can be removed on this compass? If not, do what External said and drill a hole. Use a syringe to fill it up but make sure to leave a little bubble (room for expansion) and then wipe it down with acetone and plug the hole with expoy.

Just thought about this - wouldn't it leak again? I don't think I wll be able to find the leak.

bhammer

Ensign

Just thought about this - wouldn't it leak again? I don't think I wll be able to find the leak.

It should be pretty easy to see where it leaked from. The wiskey fluid would leave a residue and a little rtv or exposy might fix you up. If it is a rebuildable compass as many in the upper price point are, you can buy a rebuild kit for a few $$. If you disassemble it but can't find a rebuild kit, pick up some gasket material at your local auto parts house and cut to fit.

I have a manual at home that has hundreds of compass kits. Do you have a manufacture/model/part number? I may be able to find you a kit for it, complete with wiskey fluid and instructions.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate that. It is a Plastimo flushmount compass. I don't have the specific model in front of me, but looking at their website, it looks like their Offshore 105 (possibly model # 17266).

Thanks again,

bhammer

Ensign

Thanks, I will look it up on Friday when I get home. I am sure this is servicable unit but don't know if it has to be done by Plastico or not. With their units, there is usually a bung plug located on the very bottom. Try removing it and seeing if you see any types of plugs or filler plugs. I'll bet you a beer that that is where it leaked from. Some of those those bung hole plugs just push in and are not screwed in. In other words, you may just have to plug your bung hole. :D (just had to say it before someone else does.) Also, I said earlier to leave an air bubble in there for expansion. With this type unit, you do NOT do that as there is a rubber gasket insdie that moves up and down with any expansion.

bhammer

Ensign

Oh, I am sure you know this but want to point out anyways. Keep any magnetic screw drivers away from the unit when working on it. :eek: You don't know how much time has been spent on aircraft trying to fix broken compasses because someone placed a ferous screw next to it or one of the flux capacitors... :mad:

bhammer

Ensign

Okay, got the parts manual and that compass does not have a rebuild kit and refs Plastico. I did a quick google search for it and found several articles that have people who rebuilt them. I'd go that route if you find the plug isn't what leaked.