How Hard To Put In A V-8

M N M

Recruit
I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO PUT A 302 WITH OMC COBRA IN TO 89 RENKEN 2288 WA? THIS BOAT HAD A 4.3 WITH AN ALPHA (STOLEN OUT OF). I JUST PICKED UP A FOUR WINNS 205 SUNDOWNER WITH THE 302 THAT NEEDS VERY MINOR WORK (THE MOTOR)
THANK FOR ANY HELP,
MIKE:confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How Hard To Put In A V-8

Donno,..........

Most folks are Removing the OMCs,+ Installing the Merc.s........

ziggy

Admiral

so the 4.3 is still there?

maybe ya could get one of them sei drives for 1200. bolt up and go if ya just need the drive.......

search omc with the search function on iboats. bet ya will find a lot of info about them.....

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

I'm no expert, but won't there be a slight issue with mounts, with the 302 being a Ford block and the 4.3 being a GM block?

TilliamWe

Banned

So you want to get one complete obsolete boat, eh? So you'll have a Renken (no longer made) with an OMC (no longer made) drive, and a Ford 302 (no longer made, but parts still available, somewhat easily). Wow, that's one awesome combo you'll have there.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but plainly what you propose is not worth the effort. Fix the 302 and leave it in the boat it's in.
And if the motor and drive are gone from the Renken, throw it away! Or if you just want that boat (why?) get a complete take out 4.3 engine and an SEI drive for it.