What year is my Chrysler 55?

Hi, I finally took my Dad's boat out of mothballs last week, only to discover that the prototype 50 my engineer uncle had given him was gone, and been replaced with a production 55. I don't have a clue as to what year it is or where to find a manual. It started, and ran fairly well, but seemed to smoke quite a bit even after warmed up.

Can anyone help me? What year is this motor? The tab says:

Chrysler 55
5000-5500 RPM
Model: 556HA
Serial No: 3234

It also says "Alternator" on the cover, so I know it's not that magnum ignition thingy....

God Bless Boaters (He started with Noah)
Bill in White Bear Lake;)

Last edited:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: What year is my Chrysler 55?

Welcome to iboats, proud owner of a 1970 55Hp Chrysler. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Is that White Bear Lake Minnesota? I live in Brooklyn Park. We are practically neighboors.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Congratulations! That was one of the lightest 55s ever made--only 156 pounds. I had a 69 magneto ignition that outran the (then) new 3 cylinder Evinrude 55 hp engines on comparable boats. Your engine will be battery ignition with points and twin coils with an alternator for charging. Nice little 2 cylinder engine--reliable too. I cruised mine up the Hudson to Canada twice with no problems.

Can you believe I'm just now getting back to this project? The 1970 Chrysler 55 HP is on a 60 year old flat-bottom-20-foot-river-cruiser that my Dad owned. I stored it in Appleton WI until this past May, when following a pastor's conference I towed it back to White Bear Lake MN (Hi Neighbor!). Just as I got to the Woodbury water tower on I94 the axle snapped. Tandem wheels - single axle. It's taken since May to get the odd-ball axle reamed out and a new spindle made by an engineering firm in Forest Lake. I got the parts back last Friday. For the low low price of nearly a grand Dad's "Old Nessy" will finally be wet again.

Now if I could just remember what the fuel:eek:il ration is suppose to be... Is it 50:1 or 25:1, or what? And.... where might I find a manual for this gem?

Grace & peace brother boaters.:D

Oops... I forgot the most important part of this posting. THANK YOU for your help.

Last edited:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

50 to 1 would be the correct ratio. If it has not been run in years it might be best to run it closer to 36 to 1 for at least a couple of gallons of gas. Chrysler crew sells them or get a clymer

Many thanks to all, especially to eurolarva for the links. I'm now a blue bucket sailor. My earmuffs didn't fit on this motor, so I got 55 gl. blue plastic barrel to test drive in.

I'll post pictures of the old girl once she's wet. You'll get a kick out her. Circa 1940's (20' x 6') flat bottom silver aluminum with fore & aft-deck, 2 berth cabin, head, crank out windows, catwalk, and spoked ships wheel.

Oh, and don't forget the 2 large amber docking lights on the forecastle - makes her look like a frog or landing craft (depends on your age). The ducks at WI Dells come to mind.

I'm going to start another thread with "newbie" Chrysler questions. So, C'ya Matey.

Bill