OMC Cobra Stern Drive weight?

86Bonanza

Cadet
Hey all. I have a bad seal on my u-joint bellows at the pivot assembly. From reading my clymer manual, it seems I will have to remove the whole stern drive from the pivot assembly down. The book recommends having an engine hoist, but I don't have access to one. Does anyone knoe if two guys could safely remove the unit without a hoist?

Thanks.
Ben

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Cobra Stern Drive weight?

Hi,

Easy with two people. I helped my buddy do his. We built a stand out of 2x4's and it was really easy. Total weight is under a 100 lbs, probably less than 80. The stand makes it easier and requires less wrestling.

Oh yeah and before others beat me to it, find a real OMC manual. Ebay has them. The Clymer is wrong in a lot of places, to put it mildly. It makes a good thing to cushion the outdrive skeg from hitting the floor.

Later,

johnbo

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yes,removed mine myself,no hoist.2 people can do it no problem. Have something made up to set the drive in.
I built a stand out of 2x4's with a strap to hold the drive in place while i worked on it.
You really need to pull the drive and have a pressure test done.
Did you have water in the gear oil?
Or is it a bad u-joint bellows?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

sorry johnbo,we were posting at the same time...8)

86Bonanza

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go myself. I havent checked my gear oil yet, hopefully the water was just leaking into the boat through the bellows,and didn't ruin anything else. It just happend a couple days ago, and I got it drained pretty quick. I'll also look into a OMC manual. How much do they run?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Check your gimbal bearing and u-joints if you got water in your bellows.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Expect to pay 50 or more for an original manual.
WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY!!
i have a 86 version manual if you can't find one...

86Bonanza

Cadet

Thanks. for the info. I just removed the stern drive yesterday, it really isn'y to heavy. I did it alone and had no problems.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled my Stringer by myself with the aid of a on the job built stand. Just do not know yet whether I can reverse the operation by myself. Will soon know.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Putting it back on is much easier with 2 people.Buy your neighbor a beer and have him give you a hand..8)

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Its easy to pull the drive. I do it by myself. Dont forget to check the gimball bearing and u joints. Make sure you grease them up. If the gimball bearing is rusted ( if water is leaking it most likely is) youll need to replace it. its abotu 50$ and you will need a three prong bearing puller. i got one for 30$. the bearing can be put back in by using a alluminum punch and tap it on the sides evenly all the way around if you dont have a bearing installation tool. Youll also need to realign the bearing to the output shaft of the motor or youll never get the outdrive to go back in. youll need a special tool for that. i borrowed one from a buddy who is a mechanic and I took measurements and if someone can make me one out of alluminum Ill gladly pay for it.
Rob

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

After you get the stern back on is the best time to lube everything up. No need to really prelube anything as there is a nipple on the right side that will do it all for you. Plus prelubing is very messy and will make your job a lot harder.