Eska 2hp info needed

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could some one give some info on this motor? The model number is 14205A and the serial number is 38-361654. The model plate says it runs on 25:1 mix. I guess I would like to know what year it was made, if it's water cooled (which it appears to be but I'm no expert), if it uses regular hi-visc gear lube, and what it's worth might be in good running condition.
The motor belongs to my neighbor's father and he thinks it may have never been used but there's no owner's manual...if that's the case would there need to be any break in proceedures? Thanks in advance!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eska 2hp info needed

I can't give you the exact year possibly about 1983.I did find a 14207 3.5 hp. 1983.
Anyway they are all similar. They use an aircooled Tecumseh powerhead with a water cooled exhaust leg.
Most people reccomend 2 stroke chain saw oil and
regular lower unit lube for the gearcase.
In my opinion these motors are a comprimise at best.
They vibrate are underpowered for their rating.Some parts are not available.They generally require tinkering to keep them operating correctly.Though small engine shops might be able to do parts for the Tecumseh powerhead.
There may be a tag on the power head indicating its type/model.
I don't think they are worth any big investment in parts.
I bought a similar 7hp.motor for $5 at a flea market looked rough but turned out had very few hours.After many hours cleaning and tuning it ran pretty good and I sold it for $75.I personally wouldn't by one but they are
easy to carry and easy to buy.If you don't mind the coarse operation and tinkering.

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so with it having an air cooled power head but a water cooled exhaust leg, would I still need to put it in water to crank it?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If you don't you'll burn up the water pump. It only cools the exhaust, but the powerhead will run hotter and not as well.

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anybody know where you can get a replacement prop? this one is fine but it is plastic/composite and is probably more brittle today than it was 20+ years ago

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might watch eBay but I think you may find they are all composite.

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

don't mind it being composite as long as I have a few incase I bust one up.