Bent starter motor shaft

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
While attempting to get out on the water a couple of days ago and attempting to start the motor the starter failed to turn the motor over. Upon investigation into why, I found that the shaft on the starter motor had become bent to where the starter gear would bind up on the flywheel teeth. Thus, preventing the starters motor shaft from turning. The shaft is made of a fairly large diameter piece of steel and I am unable to figure out what caused it to bend. There isn't alot of play in the shaft/bushings. Nor was any of the starters mounting bolts loose. I also checked for excessive play concerning the crankshaft bearings. What I did discover was badly worn starter motor brushes. One brush having been worn til coming off it's braided wire. Also, the bend found in the shaft begins where the shaft exits the top bushing. Anyone familiar with this sort of event happening and possibly know why it occured. If so, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bent starter motor shaft

Oops! my bad....
The starter motor in question is for a 1988 Force 85 h.p. motor.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Chances are it is not bent. Maybe the bearings or bushing is shot and cause it to wobble. Either way it is not repairable. Look on ebay or ebasic has good prices on after market force starters.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have to wonder if it has been bent right along and the poor brushes finally failed exposing the problem.It may just be a problem with the bendix.Most starters have bushings that are easily replaced.
Starters,brushes and drive kits are available right here at iboats as well as NAPA auto parts.
Unfortunately some Branches don't have a clue about their Marine Products Catalog.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It is very much appreciated.