4 hp

smallboat

Cadet
bought a 69 4hp for 75dollars condition. unknown owner did not know condition said it was in building when he moved i n. the prevouis owner said it was good. Brought home cleanrd points,replaced fuel pump,plug wires,fuel hoses. It started using drill and would run with choke . the longer it ran the better it ran adjusted carb. Runs good from idle to full throdle. freind had a 15 gal drum workes perfect. going to lake tomorrow to try it out

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 hp

Might want to replace the water pump too. And don't run the motor without a load or it may self-destruct. You may want to run it at a 40:1 mix to be safe. Sounds like you got a good deal...

Xcusme

Commander

Do yourself a favor and replace the water pump too. I would be a shame to overheat your 'new' motor, and do real damage..

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sounds like the carb is a bit gummed up. Mine floods and quits about 1/2 second after it starts with the choke closed. I ended up with the high speed out about 3/8 turn from lightly seated and the low speed out about 1 full turn. That should give you some clues if one or two circuits are a little clogged.

But perhaps the fresh fuel cleaned it out and you're already there.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The " Runs good from idle to full throttle" in a 15 gallon bucket concerned me. Quick way to burn it up and doesn't mean it will run well under a load on the water...Let us know how the maiden voyage goes....

smallboat

Cadet

Have to order a water pump one from local shop was to stiff. got the fuel pump at a shop in Kentucky about 40 mi away was out of water pumps will replace as soon as possable

smallboat

Cadet

Motor ran good. only cought two small fish.sure beats working plus i;am 65 and dont have to buy a fishing license in this state. life is good. also ordered water pump

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sounds good! Probably one of the best small engines ever made there. Ideal for fishing especially if it's got the tilted "weedless" lower unit. It works rather well.