Mercury 150 Steering Frozen

edbaker

Recruit
The steering rod that goes through the base of the motor is frozen. I can unloosen the nut on the cable and pull the cable back some, but the rod is frozen in the tube. How is the cable attached to the rod? And is there some easy way to remove the tube from the motor....seems that you need a special tool to take out the nut holding the tube in the motor......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 150 Steering Frozen

Ed, The cable ends get corroded into the tilt tubes. Also, the cable ends are not removable from the cable. To loosen it: Remove the rod that connects the cable end to the motor. Put a pipe wrench on the cable end, squirt it well with some penetrating oil, and rock the pipe wrench front to back. If you can rock it, the oil will work its way into the tilt tube. After a while, and have someone turn the wheel while you rock it. When you get the cable end to come out of the tilt tube, wipe off the corrosion until it moves smoothly. The lubricate it with marine grease or special lube 101 by Mercury.

edbaker

Recruit
Re: Mercury 150 Steering Frozen

Chris1956, Thanks....<br />I got it freed last night....took off the cable and after a few twists...got it to break free...<br />I got the stuck part outside of the tube, cleaned it up, lubed it and it is now working....thanks for the help.