1350 hard to start

river37091

Seaman Apprentice
compression 124-126 all cylinders,new wiring harness,new dist cap,plugs.carbs rebuilt.sent to shop,supposedly set timing?once it starts it fires every time till it gets cold.then its h----.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 1350 hard to start

Heh........ common complaint.<br /><br />You gotta practically FLOOD those to start them. Pump the ball till it's hard, and then a little more to force some gas past the float needles.<br /><br />Slightly advance the idle throttle lever and hold the choke ON while cranking. Once it touches off -bump the choke a little till it catches fully.<br /><br />ALSO! Talk to your mechanic and verify WHAT the *maximum spark advance* was set to when he tuned it.<br /><br />VERY IMPORTANT!<br /><br />The factory stickers on those said to set it at 27 (or 23) degrees max advance. This will kill it on todays gas. Mercury Marine has issued numerous warnings to set the max advance to 21 degrees and no more. A lot of mechanics are *not* up to speed on this. Don't take it for granted that it's OK because a "professional mechanic" did it. Check.<br /><br />If it's not *21* take it back and insist. OK?

emckelvy

Commander

Yup, sounds just like my old 1350. Anytime I thought it was flooded, you could dispell that by pumping up the bulb, giving it more choke and away it went!<br /><br />It might help to richen up the idle mix; run each mixture adj needle out CCW 1/8 turn. Also when you have it warmed up & idling in gear, adjust each needle for the best operation in the rich band of adjustment. You can tell if it's too lean because it'll bog out when you accelerate.<br /><br />Usually on the old Mercs, you have to find the compromise between clean idling (nice and lean) and being rich enough for smooth acceleration. You'll likely end up with a bit lumpier, rich idle, but that's what you'll need to make it less cranky.<br /><br />Another thing to check is to ensure that the choke shutters are closing fully and that they are not warped. Since the bottom carb doesn't choke, it's real important that the other 2 work right.<br /><br />You should have a spring in the outer screen of each carb; the screw should be tightened down all the way until it hits the carb body. The choke shutter should pull all the way into the outer screen until it is wedged into the face of the carb.<br /><br />If the choke shutters do not seal flat against the carb body, you're not getting full choke. It may be necessary to replace the shutters.<br /><br />Another thing that helps is to have the motor tilted back such that any fuel in the carb throats runs "downhill" into the motor, instead of running out the front. When you do as Clams described, pumping the bulb hard and blowing it past the needles, you're effectively "priming" the motor, just like later models without choke shutters and a primer.<br /><br />Speaking of that, I bet adding a primer and removing the choke assy's altogether would improve both starting ability and performance! Didn't they do this on the Last of the Inlines??<br /><br />HTH and enjoy your Big Merc..........ed

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by Ed Mc.:<br />Speaking of that, I bet adding a primer and removing the choke assy's altogether would improve both starting ability and performance! Didn't they do this on the Last of the Inlines??
They did, but I think it was more to save money and be consistant with the V6's, than because it actually worked any better. I have one with the primer and the starting procedure is still the same PITA. Once you get to know it it's easy. Take good care of that 1350 and it will serve you will. There's a little piece of the old Merc magic in all those big inlines. :)

ZmOz

Captain

Gotta love cold starting an inline. Took me two full days to get mine started when I first got it. :D Another thing to think about is if it's getting enough power to the starter. It needs ALOT. Make sure your battery is good (and fully charged if you've been trying to start it for a while) and that your battery cables are in good condition. Mine sounded like it was turning over just fine, but wouldn't start until I gave it a jump. Got a new battery and it starts just fine...

Clams Canino

Commander

Good point. The distributor CDI ignition runs offf the battery and need X voltage to fire off that switchbox. Later ADI motors didn't have that particular issue. (but still require the rubber chicken dance ceremony to start them)<br /><br />-W

river37091

Seaman Apprentice

thanks again,battery cables need replaced also the battery.does anyone know where i can get a new outside harness for this old merc?

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

River, Try WWW>OLDMERCS.Com if nothing else maybe they can help on harness.