What is the correct way to check reed valves on Merc 200HP

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me the correct way to check the reed valves on a 1994 200hp MERC carbureted engine.<br />1. Running at idle<br />2. warmed up <br />3. pull bleed hose.<br />4. plug in PSI guage.<br /><br />Im am only getting 1-2 psi with a lot of pulsation.<br /><br />Should all ports read the same.<br /><br />Book is not real clear on this.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - Robalofish

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is the correct way to check reed valves on Merc 200HP

Lots of pulsation is correct. If the reeds are bad on any given cyl you will see very little or no pulsation at all.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the 1-2 PSI ok and what about the speed?<br />Book indicates should be PSI should be higher.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps the specs are for a static testing procedure.<br /><br />Or.... your testing device does not have the ability to acertain correct readings with the fast pos and neg pressures.<br /><br />What issue are you trying to diagnose?

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hard starting cold with lots of smoke & poor idle, after it warms up easy to re-start still idles rough normal smoking.<br />May be nature of the engine I'm not sure.<br /><br />Thanks ..

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

'mornin' robalofish,<br /><br />your symptoms can cover a lot of problems. have you checked/comfirmed your cylinder compression? i've seen similar problems on motors with broken rings & scored cylinders.<br /><br />how do your reeds look? chipped? broken? bent?<br /><br />is she tough to start? will she idle?

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression 120-124 all 6<br />Starts hard must be sloppy wet<br />Once started and warmed up idles - just rough like a washing machine.<br /><br />Runs great good top end 5500-5600.<br /><br />Haven't looked at the reeds didn't want to fix something that might not be broken.<br /><br />I only did the Merc manuals test for the reeds - they said 5-6 PSI I was only seeing 2-3 PSI.<br /><br />Thought I may have been doing something wrong.<br /><br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Blowing fuel out the carburetors are the usual indication of broken / leaking reeds.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty