Problem with 84 15hp Evinrude

wk4036

Recruit
Hi Guy's,<br /> I have a problem I need a little input on.<br /> This motor had been setting for about two years so I rebuilt the carb., fuel pump, fuel lines and rebuilt the water pump but it still runs for a few minutes and then dies just like the ignition was shut off.<br /> It takes a lot of cranking to get it started again, when it's running I keep the fuel bulb pumped up so it should be getting fuel, and have tried opening the gas cap on tank also.<br /> I did a compression check and have 125# in both cylinders and it will drop a cylinder after a couple of minutes.<br /> Any help would be appreciated<br /> Thanks:wk

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem with 84 15hp Evinrude

Hi WK<br /><br />When it shuts down pull the the plugs and see what their condition is. Wet or dry. That will tell if it's a fuel problem or ignition related..Let us know what you find..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Stuck float in the carb will do that. Next time it stops, take the drain plug out of the carburetor bowl and see how much fuel runs out.

wk4036

Recruit

Well guy's I had it running again and it will start to sputter drop a cylinder then die but if I pull the plugs right away they both have a nice blue spark and are wet with gas, the fuel pump is working because when I turned it over to check the spark it shot gas in my face.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Back your low speed needle out 1 1/2 turns from gently seated and see if it starts there.

wk4036

Recruit

Can someone give me some direction on how to check some of the electrical components, It was pretty cold here today and it ran quite a while before the sputtering and the one cylinder dropped so I have a feeling the ignition box is the problem but don't know how to test.<br /> Could be the coil under the flywheel but am unsure how to test it.<br /> Thanks for the help guy's: wk