'92 60HP Evinrude...options on repairs?

tpacracker

Recruit
ok, first...first time boat owner(other than a canoe)so I'm learning...and also, female. Bought a well-kept used pontoon with above mentioned motor...set for about 5 months prior to my purchasing...ran good from trailer...launched, and power not so good. Replaced sparkplugs and fuel filter(not personally), no help. Finally called in "expert" who advised, "good spark, comp 1-135, 2-10 3-135 lbs, #2 cyl bad, maybe piston & cyl problem. $2000 plus to fix". What is advisable? spend more $$ to rebuild? tradein on new outboard? What do you have after fixing an 11 yr old Evinrude? I've read some of the other topics...and there seems to be alot of older motors on the water...and by the way, money is a factor...any input is appreciated.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '92 60HP Evinrude...options on repairs?

before you make any decisions.. find out what is wrong with the no 2 cyl....<br /><br />It might just be a stuck ring.. some pontoon owners spend alot of time at low RPM and may not ever have done a decarb...<br /><br />Still, 10psi is VERY low.. so it might be a holed piston.. still not that bad.. its possible that the bore is fine and just needs a hone and a new piston...<br /><br />Find out whats wrong first.. it might save you some cash..<br /><br />Outboards run forever when really well looked after, I have a 30 year old Johnson that apart from some corroded bolts, runs as well as it did when it was new.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

ob

Admiral

Did the mechanic that performed the compression test rule out the possibility of low compression on #2 to a blown head gasket?10 psi is awfully low and is indicative of either severely scored cylinder ,ruptured or fractured piston,or blown head gasket.The latter being considerably less money to remedy.

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Arkansas that would cost about 800 max to repair assuming worse case with used Powerhead. Ron

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Get another mechanic to take a look at it, at a different dealer. If possible, take someone with a fair amount of motor knowledge with you. Never hurts!

tpacracker

Recruit

wow...I'm very impressed with the quick assistance!<br />Although mentioned, the mechanic didn't think it was a blown head-gasket...there was something about some part being gray and not black...I'm not really sure...this was all done with my boat in the water...guess I'll need to trailer it to another opinion...I suppose my main big question is...is it worth fixin or should I be expecting alot more problems? It sure isn't like owning a car.<br />Thanks so much.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I live almost in the center of Citrus county. Will be glad to help you trouble shoot the engine, no charge, but my best guess without looking at the engine is the cylinder has to be bored, maby all 3 cylinders. That engine has 4/5 service bulletins on the center cylinder problems that probley not been done. If you decide to trade/junk engine, I would like to bid on engine. I have a 92 that needs some parts. Cell number 352-634-2232.