175 RUDE.... Smoke like a freight train

XRFjlong

Cadet
ok guys i have a 1992 175 evinrude V6 spitfire series OIL INJECTED

i have posted recently about a starting problem with the bendix kicking out when the motor fires...

I took it to the mechanic and he said that the carb levers and throttle levers were not opening together which caused flooding which caused the starting problem

he also notified me that the compression was low on all cylinders and ecspecially on on which was at 85 psi and that i would need a rebuild soon and told me to add about a 1/2 a pint straight in the gas for every 10 gallons of gas for extra lubrication on the cylinder that has a slap in it

it still is hard to start even after he adjusted the linkages
now the motor smokes like crazy at low RPMS and alittle at high rpms but it may smoke alot at high just cant tell going fast im not sure

it is smokeing out of the foot bad and some out of the exhaust on the motor

MY QUESTION: Is this due to the extra oil or is it because of the compression or what?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 175 RUDE.... Smoke like a freight train

Strong suggestion - find a new "tech". Preferably one who's familiar with 2 stroke outboards in general, Evinrude / Johnson specifically.

I'd get it to someone who's familiar with the sync-n-link process. Make sure it has Chamipon plugs. If the carbs haven't been cleaned in a while, do so. Decarb, retake compression. Make sure the fuel is fresh 87 octane (adding fresh to old only makes the fresh old). Use a good TCW III oil.

XRFjlong

Cadet

Strong suggestion - find a new "tech". Preferably one who's familiar with 2 stroke outboards in general, Evinrude / Johnson specifically.

I'd get it to someone who's familiar with the sync-n-link process. Make sure it has Chamipon plugs. If the carbs haven't been cleaned in a while, do so. Decarb, retake compression. Make sure the fuel is fresh 87 octane (adding fresh to old only makes the fresh old). Use a good TCW III oil.

so could a decarb bring the compression up from 80 psi on that one cylinder

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it won't hurt to try it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

After the decarb run synthetic TCW 3 oil. It will cut WAY down on the smoking.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would add that you should check your thermostats and make sure that they are working properly. It is very hard to get rid of the smoke running a cold engine.

XRFjlong

Cadet

i noticed today that there is black oil on the grass below the foot, i im assuming since it never did this untill i added oil to the gas that its just a mixture issue???
Am i right? and if i decarb that wont correct the smoking right? untill i dilute the oil in the tank with more gas.... that should fix it right away im assuming

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Adding an extra pint of oil to 20 gallons of gas is not the cause of your problem.

If you have not actually had the boat on the water, you are just going to keep building up unburned oil. It has to go somewhere.

XRFjlong

Cadet

I have had it on the water thats when i noticed the smoking for the first time...
it never done it untill i added the o extra oil

be sure to take in to consideration it is oilinjected as well and i added that extra oil straight to the gas it has to be because of that because its putting out oil on the ground out of the foot muffler right what else could it be??

XRFjlong

Cadet

also it is 60 gallons of gas and i only added a half a quart

XRFjlong

Cadet

all of the plugs are blackish in color except one that is shiney like new and just alittle wet

it is NOT the plug in the cylinder that is low on compression

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Would that cylinder with the spark plug that is clean happen to be on the same side as the cylinder with low compression?

XRFjlong

Cadet

nope it the number 2 piston and the low compression is on number 5 piston

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Generally, a single clean spark plug indicates a blown head gasket and consequent water intrusion. It steam cleans the spark plug.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Remember, those motors don't have head gaskets. When you say the plug is wet - is it wet with fuel or water? Are you sure it's #2 plug and not #1?

Sounds like you have 2 issues. Did you do a decarb yet? What plugs are you using?

XRFjlong

Cadet

it is wet with gas.... if im standing behind the boat at the back and looking at the motor it is the plug on the top right plug

no i havent decarbed yet but another mechanic told me to listen to the oil injection on the resevour tank and see how often it is clicking he said it should click about once every 7-9 seconds at idle he thinks that there is too much oil being injected which is causing smoking

now on the other hand what could be causeing the clean spark plug it has fire i checked it yesterday and it threw a good spark to the block

Im using champion spark plugs with a gaped at 40