Mercury Jet or Yamaha Jet

fishaholic20

Cadet
I decided on getting a jet drive for the low waters I fish in. I can get a new2008 Mercury 60/40hp EFI Fourstroke Jet for the same price as a new 2007 Yamaha 60/40hp Fourstroke Jet. From what I understand the Yamaha is a more expensive motor. However, the Yamaha has a longer shaft and would require the instillation of a jack plate. What motor would you guys get? Is there much of a difference between the 2 motors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury Jet or Yamaha Jet

i love the silence of a yamaha r stroke at idle.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Before you get either motor, what size and type of hull do you have, plus how many people do you plan on having in the boat. The last thing you want to do is under power a jet boat. I've use Yamaha, Merc and Evinrude jets.
I see more Mercs than any thing else, mostly because they cost less, but the owners like them. Yamahas cost more and the owners love them, a friend of mine keeps his jet boat at my dock and I use it frequently. He has a Yamaha 60/40 2 stroke on it and I must say it is a pleasure to use, quiet, good power and starts easlily. It's on a 16' G3 aluminum hull and it's a great combination for 2 people, three is OK but the extra weight really saps the power and speed. I have 90/60 Evinrude and it works great, but is much louder than the Yamaha and is a little harder to start, it's not bad, it's just that the Yamaha starts so easy.

Most of the four stroke jets are quieter than the 2 stroke models, but the four strokes don't appear to be as good at getting on plane and the top speed may be a little less.

I also think that the 30% loss of power between a prop and jet is a little optimistic, I've use the same motor with each on the same hull and it seams more like 50%. My friends G3 would fly with a 40HP prop on it, but with a 60/40 pump it's just adequate, same with my boat.

fishaholic20

Cadet

The boat is a 16.5" aluminum hull Lowe. I would like a little more power than the 60/40 but a 90/60 would be too much motor for the boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have 15.5 foot jet boat with 90/60 on it and it is no way over powered, it may be a little heavier than your hull though. I would put much more HP on it if I found a good deal on great motor. My buddy's 13' Alaskan with a 60/40 evinrude is about right, the G3 is not over powered with a 60/40.

On a 20' hull it's not uncommon to have a 200hp tiller jet, one friend has 300HP Yamaha tiller on his 23'.