Estimating trailer weight

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice
On the advice of a fellow board member, I am going to register my trailer as home made. I spoke with the DMV who stated I need to give the empty trailer weight. I think I can probably get by with an estimate, since my boat isn't running it would be difficult to drop the boat off in the water and then run to a junkyard to get the weight.

It's a single axle Shoreline trailer, set up for an 18 foot boat.

Any idea approximately what this would weigh empty?

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Estimating trailer weight

sorry, in Florida you have to have the weight slip from an approved public scale. done it too many times. drop the boat and have the trailer wieghed. if you weight it with the boat on it. they will charge you the license for a semi trailer.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

In VA I got the following. "Well, how much do you think it weighs? I gotta out something in the box."

Gotta love that gov't efficiency

tashasdaddy

if you can get the last registration from the previous owner or the tag number you may not have to have it weighed.

tashasdaddy

stupid thing happened last month at the tag agency. went to due a temporary tag, for a trailer i bought in Georgia, and sold that was going to Canada, took the old registration in. trailer vin was the same as an already registered boat. they would not register it with that vin. i said ones a boat and ones a trailer, that's plan enough. they made me register it as home made. and gave me a new state vin. they were nice enough to take the weight off the old registration.