lower unit oil

ranger3676

Cadet
Hello all. Have a '98 honda 4 stroke 50 hp engine. when changing the lower unit oil today i noticed it was dark green? Everyone says it should be about the same color as motor oil? It didn't look milky and there was a small amount of fine metal chips on the screw. Could it be metal chips causing the green color? Any help is greatly appreciated.<br />Ranger3676

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: lower unit oil

sounds normal to me. Some oil does appear dark green. Change it a little more frequently and see if you see any more metal chips.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Howdy ranger,<br />I don' know about Honda gear lube but Mercury L/U gear lube is green ta start with. The little metal "fuzz" on the magnetic plug is from the clutch. Remember, when shifting into gear, don't do it gently. Engage with authority. Saves the clutch.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

D

DJ

Ranger,<br /><br />Hondas have Merc. lower units. I believe Hooty answered your question. As long as it's not milky-you're OK!

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On the same subject I recently checked the lower unit oil on a merc 150 and the magnet on tip on drain plug was caked with "fuz" (oil was dark green). Motor is a 1997 model. I am thinking about buying the motor. Should I be concerned?<br /><br />Thanks

ranger3676

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys!! One more question, I changed the lower unit lube today using a penziol product. It is not dark green (looks like regular oil), should I drain the penzzoil and purchase the honda lube instead? The penzoil lube is the right weight and grade according to my manual. Thanks again guys!<br />Ranger3676