broken tstat 1992 evi 150 60* looper

reeldutch

Lieutenant
i took the tstats out today and found out that the starboard tstat is broken.<br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=29 <br /><br />the poppet was broken out of the tstat and water could pass cold threu the tstat.<br /><br />could this cause water pressure loss on the portside and overheat the port side?<br /><br />the 2,4,6 cylinders are scored (portside)<br /><br />the 1,3,5 cylinders are fine (starboard side, broken, open tstat)<br /><br />could a broken poppet valve from the tstat result in overheating on the other side deu to water pressure loss???<br /><br />also when i checked the water pump a little closer the impeller blades are not so flexible anymore.<br />this plus the tstat ??????<br /><br />thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: broken tstat 1992 evi 150 60* looper

Dutch...if anything, the broken t-stat saved the starboard side. It let the starboard side run cold. What did the port side t-stat look like?<br /><br />What do the tops of the pistons look like on the port side?<br /><br />It's possible that the impeller wasn't pumping enough water and the starboard side "hogged" all the water....hard to say with out seeing the impeller. Was the telltale still pushing out good water? Getting any overheat alarms?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the top of the pistons have some carbon buildup.<br />not realy exessive, nr 4 has exessive carbon buildup in the exhaust port. and the rings are broken the piston rattles inside the cylinder.<br /><br />i dont know much about the motor i bought it as a non running engine from a marina here on the island who dont have the time to rebuild stuff.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the PM on the engine was almost nill Dutch. The heavy carbon build up may have built up over time as the compression got worse. May have started as overheat condition.<br /><br />What did the t-stat look like?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the tstat on the port side did not look bad to me.<br />i put it in a pan with hot water and it opened up.<br />dont know what temp.<br /><br />the person who i bought it from doesnt even know wich boat it came from. it could been lugging but why are only the portside cylinder damaged?<br /><br />i am missing the timing wheel cover any place to look for them?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dhadley knows more about loopers than I do. Maybe he will take a look at your post and give you some clues as to what went on with it. <br /><br />If your looking for the small cover, it's only about $18 from the John/Rude dealer.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

thanks obj,<br /><br />so far i found:<br /><br />- broken tstat starboard side<br />- carbon buildup most on piston nr 4<br />- only portside scored<br />- portside tstat apears ok<br />- waterpump impellor not great but probbebly was ok<br />- o rings on cylinderhead were good<br />- drained carb bowls found no water.<br />- checked fuelfilter litle derbris inside filter<br />- lower unit needs new seals.<br /><br />thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Dutch...change your topic title...put Mr. D's. name at the end to get his attention.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure the broken one came from the starboard side?<br /><br />Didn't you mention that there was a lot of excess silicone on the port head?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

100% shure the broken tstat came from starboard side. 1 wire on the temp sensor<br /><br />there was some sillicone inside the small passages around the head, the bigger inlets,outlet i think were ok.<br />but this was on both heads the same.<br /><br />i just have a feeling that there was not enough cooling on the portside. and overheated.<br /><br />i understand that a broken tstat would run cold and create more carbon buildup. and eventualy brake rings.<br /><br />but i think the portside overheated before the starboard side could buildup carbon deposits.<br /><br />the exhaust ports on the starboard side look fairly clean.<br />the exhaust ports on 2,4 and 6 are buildup and nr 4 ths thickest buildup.<br />nr 2 lightly scored little carbon buildup<br />nr 4 most scoring and most buildup<br />nr 6 less then 4 more than 2 builkdup and scoring.<br /><br /><br />thanks dhadly i realy apresiate your opinion.<br /><br />im only looking for reasons why there is only scoring pressant on portside and nothing on starboard side.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Dutch....just a thought, is this a salt water engine? Noticed your from Long Island.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yes defenatly saltwater motor the barnacals still on the transom bracket.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering if ya' ain't got some heavy salt built up in the water ways of the block. Maybe enough to over heat the port side.<br /><br />EDIT: Just guessing about the salt. But may be something to look at.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i will defantly take a look at that when i have it all appart.<br /><br />thanks