Evinrude 9.5, KNOW NOTHING Please help!!

Ducker27

Cadet
Hello all,<br />I just bought a 1969 Evinrude 9.5hp. The thing runs really well. This is my first year into boat motors and stuff and I don't know nothing about maintenance. SHould I be checking the oil for the prop, what fuel mixture should I use, that kind of stuff. I was kind of hoping to get some words of wisdom for one of you veterans out there. ANy information you could offer would be awesome. I don't even know what trim and tilt mean. haha, but seriously I don't!!<br />Thanks,<br />Ducker27

dolluper

Captain
Re: Evinrude 9.5, KNOW NOTHING Please help!!

Your mix is 50 to 1 check bottle of oil you get toamount of oil to put in [each manufacture differs]it's on the back of bottle. If your behind the motor looking at the prop your fill/drain screw is on the right bottom then half way up the side is the level checking screw, on each of these screws there is a oil-ring like gasket when you remove these screws you should replace these gaskets.A pump is availible from boat supplyers that fits on bottles of bottom end lube it makes the job easier since you fill from the bottom drain/fill screw I also think you should grab a manual for your motor

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

u got a good motor there. i would get a factory manual for it because that little motor can be alittle tricky. these can be found on ebay pretty cheap. also if u dont know the history of the motor u might wanna do a tune up. plugs, points, fuel pump, lower unit oil, and water pump, might wanna decarb it and run a compression test also

Ducker27

Cadet

What site could I buy a manual from and what would be the best manual to get. I apoligize for being high maintenance. <br /><br />Ducker27

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your plug should be a j4j with a setting of .30 and the points I think should be set at .20