Steering stuck!!! Help!

optimus

Recruit
'02 bass tracker w/ '02 50hp tracker. I have had problems in the past when the boat sat for more than a week w/out moving the steering wheel, but I could get it to turn. Now it will not move at all. Do I need to buy a new one ?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Steering stuck!!! Help!

Welcome to the site optimus. If you disconnect the steering arm from the motor, does the motor turn freely? If so your problem is either in the tilt tube or the cable itself. Remove the cable and turn the wheel to see if it moves, if so, the problem is the tilt tube. Do a search on this site for "hard steering" etc.. and you will find an abundance of info. Keep us posted on your outcome and good luck.<br /><br />Dave

D

DJ

Good advice given by Dave A. above.<br /><br />If you narrow it down to be the cable, replace it. They "freeze up" due to corrosion inside. Corrosion equals rust equals a weak cable. <br /><br />You do NOT want a cable breaking at planing speeds.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advice was given by both Dave and DJ. Until things are taken care of, you could apply some WD40 at the cables or in the tilt tube or both and rock the MOTOR left and right, which might free the steering up, at least for a while.

optimus

Recruit

The motor does turn freely when removed.I will check the other things. Thanks for the advise.