'98 Yamaha 115 tilt/trim locked up?

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
A couple of weeks ago, I cranked up the motor and was getting it ready for an outing. Went to tilt the motor up and nothing. No sound, no movement. Checked everything out and it's a bad pump. Getting power, but doing nothing. I turned the screw to release the tilt/trim and still could not raise the motor. I had to take the big pin out that goes through the center - main - piston in order to move the motor up to get the tilt/trim unit off. I've replaced the t/t motor and put the tilt/trim assembly back on. I'm trying to pump fluid in the reservoir, but I feel like every drop I pump in, comes right back out. Also, the motor is all the way up and resting on the "kick stand" and I can't get the piston out to connect it back to the motor. The main tilt piston seems to be stuck. I can put a screwdriver in it and turn it, but with the release screw turned out and a 16" screwdriver prying up on the piston and it will not pull out to connect back to the motor. I'm stuck!! Do I need to order the tools and take the piston out to see what's going on in there. Again, Motor is all the way up, T/T piston is all the way down.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
A couple of weeks ago, I cranked up the motor and was getting it ready for an outing. Went to tilt the motor up and nothing. No sound, no movement. Checked everything out and it's a bad pump. Getting power, but doing nothing. I turned the screw to release the tilt/trim and still could not raise the motor. I had to take the big pin out that goes through the center - main - piston in order to move the motor up to get the tilt/trim unit off. I've replaced the t/t motor and put the tilt/trim assembly back on. I'm trying to pump fluid in the reservoir, but I feel like every drop I pump in, comes right back out. Also, the motor is all the way up and resting on the "kick stand" and I can't get the piston out to connect it back to the motor. The main tilt piston seems to be stuck. I can put a screwdriver in it and turn it, but with the release screw turned out and a 16" screwdriver prying up on the piston and it will not pull out to connect back to the motor. I'm stuck!! Do I need to order the tools and take the piston out to see what's going on in there. Again, Motor is all the way up, T/T piston is all the way down.
Any ideas guys? Has nobody ever had this problem?

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Fixed it! Thanks for all your help guys! Obviously, I COULD do it without you. I think I need to find more of an outboard repair forum. This just isn't for me. But I'll leave knowing I've contributed more than I've received, so I feel pretty good about that.
So long!!
Before I go, I'll answer about 75% of your questions:
Find a google video
Clean your carburetor and rebuild with OEM parts (also, find a google video)
It's your weak battery

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Fixed it! Thanks for all your help guys! Obviously, I COULD do it without you. I think I need to find more of an outboard repair forum. This just isn't for me. But I'll leave knowing I've contributed more than I've received, so I feel pretty good about that.
So long!!
Before I go, I'll answer about 75% of your questions:
Find a google video
Clean your carburetor and rebuild with OEM parts (also, find a google video)
It's your weak battery
See Ya you wont be missed