Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default Seafoam - How Much?

I was wondering how much Seafoam you are using per gallon for maintenance/fuel stabilization?

The can says 16oz treats 6-12g of fuel/oil mix, avg 2oz/g. Do you mix it at 2oz/g?

Default Re: Seafoam - How Much?

I have a 40 HP 2 Stroke Merc. which I pre-mix my oil.

I only fill 6 Gallons a time on my bass boat.(12 or 14 Gallons fuel tank) Usually I try to add about 1/2 can every other fill up when i'm filling my boat up from 1/2 tank to full tank. (The rest goes into my jeep)

I do this so at most times there is sea-foam in the gasoline to stabilize, and every other tank it is stronger to keep the engine clean. So far no problems

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a good idea. Thanks.

Lieutenant Commander

Does Seafoam REALLY stabilize fuel, clean carbon, remove moisture from fuel and oil, clean injectors AND provide good storage fogging as it claims? Just seems a little like snake-oil esque claims to me. I could believe that it's a good carbon cleaner/preventer, but that almost seems incompatable with some of the other claims.

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has been around for 50+ years so it must be able to stand up to scrutiny.

As a believer in this product, I can say YES. I've used it for years. $5.86 at my local farm store.

Been using 1 ounce per gallon +/-, for years.

If I have 18 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.
    If I have 13 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.

Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
    ICOM M504A VHF
    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
    Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$
    Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by tashasdaddy View Post
    seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.
    I hadnt thought of that. A couple cans of Seafoam a year sure beats rebuilding/cleaning the carb every spring.

tashasdaddy, how much Seafoam are you using per gallon of fuel?

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

i use about 1 1/2 ounces. but i also do a decarb atleast every 2 years whether it needs it or not. i prefer this method of decarbing. i use it in all my 2 cycle motors,, weedeater, blowers, etc.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the decarb instructions. I have a gallon of mixed fuel, a can of seafoam and a spray bottle all ready for my next day off.

I just put new plugs in it, will I still need to replace them after decarboning?

Quote Originally Posted by phipps View Post
    Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?
    During the season I typically don’t use fuel additives except in “winterize” mode. I have a 92 gallon tank and typically burn 20-25 gallons an outing. I just top off before each outing to keep fresh fuel in the mix.

In theory, we can boat year round so come December I’ll start adding Sta-bil into the mix. You never know when the next opportunity to go out will present itself so I “winterize” just in case.

Got to love winterize an outboard
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    ICOM M504A VHF

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by tashasdaddy View Post
    How does it do this? (keep carbs clean) Why is it better than normal fresh gasoline and good quality oil?

Chief Petty Officer

Now with teh alcohol laced fuel that most of us have to buy, i believe in gas aditives more than ever. I've had some real nightmares with STABIL and will never use it again. However, in the 4-5 years since i've found SEAFOAM, even last years gas seems to start and run all my outboards like new fuel. FWIW, I generally run 1.5-2 oz/gal of 50:1 mix in all my engines ( and run them out of fuel at years end.)

Doing some research for winterizing.. So you use Seafoam in a full tank over the winter & no other fuel stabilizers ?

Just trying to convince myself its ok to use seafoam for winter storage with NO Stabil-Marine..

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Hooker View Post
    Now with teh alcohol laced fuel that most of us have to buy, i believe in gas aditives more than ever. I've had some real nightmares with STABIL and will never use it again. However, in the 4-5 years since i've found SEAFOAM, even last years gas seems to start and run all my outboards like new fuel. FWIW, I generally run 1.5-2 oz/gal of 50:1 mix in all my engines ( and run them out of fuel at years end.)

E-10 is one of the best fuel system cleaners you can buy. I'm not sure why you want or need to introduce even more alchohol (Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume) into the mix.

Stabil-Marine is formulated for use with E-10. It's as good, if not better stabilzer than Seafoam @ 1/3 the cost.
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    ICOM M504A VHF

"Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume" didnt know that !!! Thanks.

E-10 is one of the best fuel system cleaners you can buy. I'm not sure why you want or need to introduce even more alchohol (Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume) into the mix.

Stabil-Marine is formulated for use with E-10. It's as good, if not better stabilzer than Seafoam @ 1/3 the cost.

Chief Petty Officer

Buckle up gents.. this is going to get good...

Petty Officer 1st Class

(Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume)

Actually it's 10-20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol). I'm not a chemist, but I'm sure there is a difference between IPA and ethanol. If I remember correctly, IPA evaporates pretty quickly when exposed to the atmosphere.

Chief Petty Officer

Technically isopropanol. Same thing as isopropyl alcohol but it is made from petroleum. Ads a negligible amount of alcohol to the overall fuel mix.

Look at the contents of the majority of fuel stabilizers - primarily isopropyl alcohol.

Rear Admiral

Smile Re: Seafoam - How Much?

I researched Seafoam and it's mostly Petroleum Naptha, Mineral Spirits(paint thinner) with some Alcohol. Nobody claims to know exactly how it works but it's a fairly well-proven product. Good Luck!

Lieutenant

Each time my boat has to sit unexpectantly for a period of time, I always clean the carbs, add seafoam to the old fuel in the tank, finish filling tank with fresh fuel and replace water/fuel seperator. Have not had a problem at all since I have had to so this a few times... Seafoam works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Hooker View Post
    What kinds of problems have you had with Stabil? This is what I'm using to combat the effects of ethanol in the fuel. Should I be using something else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast