Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default How to put tilt/trim switch on control that doesn't have one

I'm replacing my Evinrude engine with a Suzuki 225. I bought a control handle for the Suzuki motor. It doesn't have a tilt/trim switch built in. Any ideas on how to put one on it would be great.

TIA
    Bill

Default Re: How to put tilt/trim switch on control that doesn't have one

That will be difficult unless Suzuki used the same control handle for both versions. Basically you need to find a small enough M-O-M switch to fit (Radio Shack?), Cut an opening, run the wires down the handle, wrap around the hub to prevent breaking and hope it works.

It will probably be easier to buy a new control handle. By new, I mean new to you, but used. I know that in the US marine controls, a new switch costs 30-40 dollars. No telling what the whole handle would be.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would avoid the generic momentary switches that you buy at radio shack or even the neat bubble packed that are sold at marine stores. They just dont hold up. My idea would be to purchase a bonified switch that goes on the side of the motor and mount it next to your controls. Might have to take a small file to dress up the hole to make it fit. Could probably get one here at iboats. does not matter what motor it is for, they are all about the same. FRED

These are great trim switches

You can get them here:

http://transom-jack.com/CMC-Waterpro...-P1108874.aspx
    Regards,

''Fish Me Gone''

Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who are not......Thomas Jefferson

Find out how you can help prevent the spread of Zebra mussels.
    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/fishing-1000206.aspx

Cadet

ddrieck -

How does this fit into my new handle? I'd been looking for a new control handle for a bit more than a year. I found one for the Suzuki 225 but it doesn't have a built in tilt/trim switch.
    Would I be able to safely rig something up using the trim switch you listed?

Quote Originally Posted by billdor View Post
    ddrieck -

How does this fit into my new handle? I'd been looking for a new control handle for a bit more than a year. I found one for the Suzuki 225 but it doesn't have a built in tilt/trim switch.
    Would I be able to safely rig something up using the trim switch you listed?
    Sorry for the confusion...

This switch mounts to the dash or any other flat surface be it in the bow area or the transom area.

I have One installed at the very nose of the bow to aid in loading and unloading off the trailer.

I have one installed on the inside of the transom splash well to aid in installing my transom saver. Makes things much easier when your all my yourself.
    Regards,

''Fish Me Gone''

Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who are not......Thomas Jefferson

Find out how you can help prevent the spread of Zebra mussels.
    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/fishing-1000206.aspx

DJ

You are into customization here. The switch shown above is a very good one. Just mount it wherever you can.

The real answer is to get a Suzy handle with the switch. That should not be that hard.

If you can't do that, just mount a switch wherever is convenient. It is my experience that you do not use the switch as much if it is located somewhere else. Probably a good thing.

My Crownline has a trim switch, on the handle, I do not use that nearly as much as the trim plates switch, on the dash.

I think this type of trim switch is the cats meow, no fumbling with one hand on the wheel at speed...nice to have with the large HP OB's.

http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-Pro-T...-view_id.40279

Not that expensive and they are also available in dual trim switch versions for use with a powered jackplate.