Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Evinrude XP 150 Ignition Problems

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and have a lot of questions. I will try to make this as short as I can. Problem: 1989 Evinrude XP150 model# E150STLCEM with ignition problem.Two years ago motor quit -not firing. Local mechanis said bad power pack; replaced-- back on water--six fishing trips--down again. Local mechanic sent me to another mechanic who replaced what I call the trigger (part under flywheel with six firing points).Back on water for several trips. Boat sat for 3 months during winter, No batteries hooked up. Last spring developed firing problem again, firing on 4 cylinders. 2 not firing #3and #5 cylinders. I tested spark by removing all plugs from engine and made sure they were grounded to block. Out of curiosity I put the old power pack-(one with no fire at all)- back on motor, and now have fire on all cylinders except #6.Replaced pack back to newest one--still not firing on #3 and #5. Moved primary wire going to #1 coil down to the #3; and #3 primary wire up to #1. Now getting fire on #3 but not on #1.I figure coil for #3 must be good--would you agree? If the coils seem to be OK do you think I will have to replace power pack again? Is there something that I am doing wrong that is causing the packs to go out or is this common? Should I unhook the battery to the engine or is it OK to leave it hooked up? Any info on ways to test ignition would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Evinrude XP 150 Ignition Problems

Welcome Vaughan...I'm going to move your post to Johnson/Evinrude repair forum. You'll get quick anwers there.