Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Coleman Outboards

Anybody know who is building the 5, 9.9 and 15 HP 4-stroke outboards for Coleman?

Default Re: Coleman Outboards

That retarded Chinese manufacturer that operates under a variety of names...In the end its a Parsun.
    Elvin
    My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
    2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
    3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Ahhhh sooo! Ran into the display at my local farm store today.

Vice Admiral

Hey, Wal-mart sells them. That means they must be good!

Yeah the local Mills Fleet Farm is selling them....and people are looking at them seriously. Why would anyone seriously consider it? Does Fleet Farm sell you parts for it? How about a water pump kit? Will Fleet Farm service it? What happens if you want a different prop? Will they do your warranty work?

(Sarcasm: ON) It says Coleman, therefor it must be a great outboard! Since Coleman is so well known for its outboards... (Sarcasm: OFF)

Coleman is certainly well know for whoring out their brand name for any old POS that's for sure.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ziemann View Post
    Yeah the local Mills Fleet Farm is selling them....and people are looking at them seriously. Why would anyone seriously consider it?
    The chinese trim motors don't hold up nearly as well as the US trim motors. They use steel in places where they should use stainless, their rubber seals crack and leak more quickly, their aluminum alloy is softer, the paint does not hold up under duress, and the windings have a tendency to short against body and cause increased galvanic corrosion.

If they can't build something as simple as a trim motor or a valve body then why would I expect them to be any good at building a whole outboard?

I recently had a guy from Russia contact me to buy some rebuilt mercury trim systems. I mentioned that he would probably be better off with a used mercury trim motor than a new chinese one. He sent back "yes, yes, chinese bad". So it isn't just an american thing.

Chief Petty Officer

People in Iraq did'nt even use stuff from China. There was a guy on here looking to buy some chinese built 15hp 4-stroke OB. Coleman stuff barely gets by as it is, even if it's made for camping. Let alone something as complicated as a OB

iv'e heard they are bad for vibration

Cadet

buyer beware when it comes to these motors. especially Canadians like myself. These motors are Chinese and made by Parsun. Im having such a hard time right now with them and even sent a message to Rich Godfrey & Associates who brought these motor over here from China and they are the ones handling issues. Coleman great camping gear thats about it.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm looking for an outboard, glad I saw this! Thanks for posting.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I Believe you meant the company that bought up Coleman and started sticking the name on all sorts of crap. I still like my old coleman camping gear but some of the new stuff is beyond garbage.

Not sure who they sold the name to to stick on RVs but haven't been impressed by the quality.