Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Acetone in Mix ~ Improves fuel economy & response in 2 cycle motors

Howdy all~ Read this stuff. It is very interesting. Seems that an few ozs of acetone mixed in with mix has a great performance and economy effect on internal combustion gasoline and diesel motors. Arguably the throey is correct and it should result in substantially less carbon buildup as well... Any thoughts???

Link below:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...vidual_Reports

Default Re: Acetone in Mix ~ Improves fuel economy & response in 2 cycle motors

Additional link explaning chemistry:

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Sam

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

there will have to be a lot more study's before i put it in my tank, boat or car.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Petty Officer 1st Class

one thing that would have me worried .
    even in the article it mentioned Acetone eats most plastics.
    there are a number of components that may get disolved by the acetone.
    Floats, connectors, gaskets, fuel tanks Etc.
    acetone is a completely different animal than gas and alcohol.
    I am sure it may work well but the short -long term effects may be tremendous.

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm very interesting. I have an old Subaru i may just try this on. Think I'll wait on the boat motor until further report come out.

Acetone is used in finger nail polish remover and is also used as a plastic adhesive. It won't get used in my motors.

that stuff'll take the fingernail polish right off the piston crowns!

8) sorry, just couldn't resist.
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Folk- It was merely posted as fodder for thought.. I will be trying it in my Infiniti and my Mitsubishi... I'll let you know.

As to my 64' Rude 40-HP Lark VI, I will stick to sea-foam for a while....

But who knows..... i'll report results as they develop. I am off to the hardware store to buy a gallon

Sam

Chief Petty Officer

Will that stuff reduce the effectiveness of the 2-stroke oil?

Some serious thoughts here. Sea Foam has been proved effective; have seen no reports about acetone, but have used as a violative solvent in the past.

I know it (Sea Foam) contains naptha. So I thought about making my own.

Get on www and look up naptha and find half a dozen kinds.....Hmmmmmm. Don't know which one is the right one for the job.

After a little thought I decided that I will stay with the proven performer, even it it costs me a little more than I want to pay up front....cause the converse, if I screw something up, could finance cases of the stuff.

My 2c,

Mark
    If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Chief Petty Officer

I just seen the acetone "myth" on "Mythbusters" and it got BUSTED (they ran an EFI and a Carb engine on a constant load dyno). I've also tried it in 2 different fuel injected vehicals with no noticable gain.
    87' Kennedy 20' Pontoon....... well some of it is.......
    3rd Pontoon + integrated transom + strakes just on the 3rd
    98' Johnzuki 70hp 4 stroke (looking for a Johnson/Suzuki 115)
    29mph @ 5900rpm swinging a 14x13 Turbo Pontoon1 stainless
    Freshly overhauled by beefing up and adding more tube to cross member supports, deck extended from 16' to 19.5', Playpen extended from 13' to 16.5', And a new 3/4" deck/carpet/furniture!

Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    one thing that would have me worried .
    even in the article it mentioned Acetone eats most plastics.
    there are a number of components that may get disolved by the acetone.
    Floats, connectors, gaskets, fuel tanks Etc.
    acetone is a completely different animal than gas and alcohol.
    I am sure it may work well but the short -long term effects may be tremendous.
    It mentioned that it will eat cheap plastics. I had a Dodge Colt back in the 80's that got 30+ MPG, Mrs. DanPemby filled her up with the original Ethonhol (sp?) once and it ate through all the plastic in the carb. I THINK most newer cars have solved that problem, at least any that state you can run E-85.

One of the reports was from a Subaru owner and has been running it for a while with no adverese effects, so I may just see how it works out.

Anybody interested in a "Hot Spart Intensifier". Guaranteed to increase performance, smoother running engine, so much better fuel mileage you need to stop every 200 miles and drain off some fuel or your tank will run over. Get a grip folks! People that try this stuff are not conducting scientific studies. Just read them. Add anything to a poorly maintained engine and it will likely run better. "Better Emissions" stated by one person but didn't state how he/she knew that.

Chief Petty Officer

Silvertip
    You are right, Jut grasping at the perverbial straw here.

Rear Admiral

I've been doing the 2 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of unleaded in my 99 Suzuki Grand Vitara for about 3 weeks now...normally using about 1/2 tank per week. Before I was getting 26-28 mpg in mixed town and highway driving...this is very flat country. After I am getting 26.5 to 29 mpg and the little 2.5 L V6 does run quieter. All in all, no noticeable improvement in mpg. I'm getting a little over 215 miles to about 8 gallons of gas...if my little trip odometer gauge is accurate. Probably won't continue this, was just curious and proved marginally right but majorly overstated...like most other gimmics when inflation bites us in the arse. Just my 2 cents.

Commander

If it is too good to be true, it probably is!!!!!!!!

My buddy added a one of the high efficiency air cleaners to his S10 crew cab pickup and claimed his mileage jumped 6 mpg. My response was "why don't you fill it up next time". Hasn't been mentioned since. Believe me, if all this stuff actually worked, the car manufacturers would be on it in a heartbeat. Nothing like having a leg up on the competition.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for the "high effciency" air filter, it's a scam. If you have a carb, it might help, but since most modern car/truck/boat motors are fuel injected, then doesn' t the mass air flow sensor determine the fuel mixture, and therefore any constriction by a dirty air filter be compensated for? Yes constriction by a really bad filter might decrease air flow and max hp, but the mix should be right. Harvey

Acetone did not give me anything noticeable in MPG, however it works like a charm for passing the bi-yearly emission test that we have to do here with older engines. Run a half litre to about 6 to 8 gallons, then add a gallon of gas and put the other half litre in the tank, drive to the emission test centre, pass with flying colours then drive to the gas station and fill up with gas. I have used this method with many an older vehicle that I bought that had failed the test and passed it the next time just by doing the above. I would certainly not use it for anything else though but it sure makes an engine run cleaner.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Apparently, what happens with many genuine and not-so-genuine fuel efficiency methods is that the drivers, once they are using them, pay attention to efficiency.

Easier braking, softer acceleration, etc, all these tend to happen while the driver is watching efficiency, and these result in better performance whether or not the method they have installed matters or not!

Good luck!

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow imnot trying it ,ive used a lot of acetone .i wouldnt .think of putting it in a motor.:%:%

Hey if acetone is good, wouldn't methyl ethyl ketone be better?
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Commander

[color=green]
    Quote Originally Posted by jtexas
    Hey if acetone is good, wouldn't methyl ethyl ketone be better?
    Talking about hot:^

If it was easy,everbody would be doing it!

Rear Admiral

Ya mean they still make MEK? Where can I get some? I need to tune up the MIL's car this weekend.

Get in line...I want some first for the ex's broomstick !!!!
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!