Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default Upgrading engine and stern drive

Hi All,
    Firstly I would like to say what a great site this is - being a new boat owner I have gained a lot of very usefull information.

I currently have an 1982 MCM 165 with a MC-1 stern drive that hasn't been looked after very well. I would like to upgrade the engine and stern drive, my boat is a 22ft cruiser of similar vintage to the motor. Any advice on what to look at that is similar in physical size. I've been looking at prices of rebuilt units in the States and the prices seem very reasonable compared to here (Australia)
    Many thanks from a newbie.

Default Re: Upgrading engine and stern drive

Quote Originally Posted by mosilager View Post
    Hi All,
    Firstly I would like to say what a great site this is - being a new boat owner I have gained a lot of very usefull information.

I currently have an 1982 MCM 165 with a MC-1 stern drive that hasn't been looked after very well. I would like to upgrade the engine and stern drive, my boat is a 22ft cruiser of similar vintage to the motor. Any advice on what to look at that is similar in physical size. I've been looking at prices of rebuilt units in the States and the prices seem very reasonable compared to here (Australia)
    Many thanks from a newbie.
    Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer either gonna have to drop yer horsepower, with a 3.0l/ Alpha, or do the glass work, 'n drop in a V-motor...

the V6, 4.3l is a nice swap, as the drive gear ratio is 'bout the same...
    A V8 will require a drive re-gear, or replacement...

Donno what it's like on yer side of this rock, but 'round here, the Best shot is buyin' a rotten donor boat, with a good runnin' driveline ya like, 'n gut it for said driveline...
    What yer wantin' to do, is Much Cheaper that way, 'n ya get ALL the pieces to do it...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Cadet

Hi

I have just upgraded from a MC-1 drives to Alpha 1 Gen 2 drives I imported complete from the States.
    the drive was an easy swap, only need to drill two additional holes for the top bolts. I swapped over on a twin engine install with upgraded ratios with one being reverse rotation, its a different boat
    Go for a 4.3 MPI, better to have that bit more HP and economy.

Freight for two drives and 2 5.7L v8's to Brisbane was around 1200, so 5 to 6 hundred should get one to the dock.

good luck.

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by deep tempest View Post
    Hi

I have just upgraded from a MC-1 drives to Alpha 1 Gen 2 drives I imported complete from the States.
    the drive was an easy swap, only need to drill two additional holes for the top bolts. I swapped over on a twin engine install with upgraded ratios with one being reverse rotation, its a different boat
    Go for a 4.3 MPI, better to have that bit more HP and economy.

Freight for two drives and 2 5.7L v8's to Brisbane was around 1200, so 5 to 6 hundred should get one to the dock.

good luck.
    Thanks all for the advice.
    Who did you buy your unit from and who did you use to ship it over - the freight sounds pretty cheap.

Cadet

Hi.

Got the drives from Nuwave marine and the motors from michigan motorz, both companies are great to deal with, and have purchased a number of items, both direct and through ebay, no problems at all.

I used a company based in brisbane to get them from Long Beach to Brisie, its called Cargoclear International. so all you need to do is have the supplier deliver within the US to Cargoclears office, and they take it from there, easy.

Petty Officer 2nd Class LorenHaus's Avatar

Are you looking to replace the engine and drive entirely, or do you just want a new/remanufactured longblock?

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by LorenHaus View Post
    Are you looking to replace the engine and drive entirely, or do you just want a new/remanufactured longblock?
    I was looking at a complete unit and have found one, a v6 4.3l engine + drive + gauges,steering etc. it's a bit of an oldie (1989) but only has 138 hours on it and for the price thought it was a pretty good buy. My next project will be to fit the 4.3 into the space I had the old MCM165 straight 6 in. I believe the stern drive shouldn't be to much of a problem, my concern will be the 4.3 engine mounts in the hull.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote Originally Posted by mosilager View Post
    my concern will be the 4.3 engine mounts in the hull.
    You may have already checked into this but the restoration forum here on IBOATS has links and videos from guys that may help with re-doing your mounts.

Mark
    Buy any boat and become a BOATER
    Then open threads that start:
    My boat is a ___and I need help with __
    My engine is a __and I need help with __
    My outdrive is a __and I need help with __
    Buying non-OEM: shop here on IBOATS

-2nd round:
    2001 SeaRay270 Sundancer 7.4mpi (0m022102) B3 (sn ?, 2.0)-current
    2005 Maxum 1900sr3 4.3mpi A1G2(sold)
    -1st round in the 80's:
    198x Sea Ray 210 cuddy 260hp Merc A1
    1983 Bayliner 1600 Capri bowrider 75 Force
    14 foot w/outboard
    15 foot w/outboard

Lieutenant Commander

The question is whether the new/used 4.3 comes with the front motor mount? Remember that the 4.3 engine is shorter than the I-6 it replaces.

Your hull may need a new wooden cross brace to screw the motor mount into with lag bolts. It just depends on how your hull is configured.

I personally would be trying to find a donor boat to minimize the chance of having to go to a Mercruiser dealer for additional parts the newer generation motor might require. Your present cables, fuel lines, carb./tranny linkages and electrics may be incompatible. Any remaining parts can often be sold on EBay to recover some of your purchase price.