Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worm zapper

Seaman Apprentice

Default Worm zapper

I am wondering if anyone has directions on how to make a worm zapper to shock crawlers out of the ground. I know the mixture for the mustard water, but I am wondering how to make the ground probes, and if they need to be 120 volt ac or if they can be 12 volts dc.

Default Re: Worm zapper

2 steel rods connected to 120v worked for us.

Captain

Ok, nutcup22, I have heard of shocking the worms out, but not the "mustard water", whats that for? I always heard of using a telephone crank, or something similar,,,,,

Seaman Apprentice

Hey rwise, the mustard water is used as an irratant to help drive the worms out of the ground. Im not sure if the mustard changes the PH in the ground that it is poured on, or something else. I know that just mustard water will drive the worms up, but with electricity they will come up faster. The mixture should be 2 TBL. of powder mustard to one gallon of water. More that that may harm the crawlers.

Seaman Apprentice

sorry , double post

Captain

interesting, ever hear of "croaking" for worms? Drive a 2x2 into the ground then use a piece of metal such as a short leaf spring from an auto. Turn the curved side up and rub it across the 2x2. Should make a sound like a frog croaking, that drives the worm out of the ground, then you just pick them up.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

120VAC sounds like you don't want to go on living. It has the potential to kill people. If any minors are around, it will teach them a potentially lethal lesson. Note: more deaths have occurred from 120VAC source than all the other voltages combined.I'm sorry if this sounds like preaching, but I don't know how to put this more strongly.Please don't do this.
    Non Sequitur

Seaman Apprentice

Hey levittownnick, that is why I was wondering in my original post if it could be done with 12 volt. Anyone? I know that they make a comercial version of this. Its just that it would be kinda fun to make my own. Ive never heard of croaking rwise, do you have to wet the ground first, or is it better in dry ground.

Chief Petty Officer

What rwise said, except we call it "fiddling", We also call nightcrawlers "fiddleworms" for that reason. It has worked for us for years.

I didn't say it was safe or smart to do it with 120v, just that it worked.

I was reluctant to post this , my step son ties the hot side of a 110 wire to a screw driver and sticks it in the ground, steps back and plugs it in. when the worms come to the top he unplugs and picks them up. Yea its spooky to me but it works, I guess your safe as long as you stand back far enough.
    If your job was fun, everyone would want it!
    Have a good`un

It is safe if you adhere to basic rules, just like gun handling. Dry ground, good shoes, turn off power before touching anything - no problems!I've never tried 12v, but I doubt there would be enough juice - maybe 24v?
    Watch this space......................

Rear Admiral

120 VAC works very well and I've been dumb enough to get away with it when I was much younger.Bad idea PLEASE DONT DO IT. Back in the 60's they used to sell probes with a isolation transformer for catching worms. Still people got hurt and killed. Best idea is to go out at night on a football field with a head mounted red lense flash light and catch them by hand. We used to get paid a penny a worm and could make a easy 10 bucks a night. Hey when you were a 12 year old in 62 that was big buxs Another way to cheat. find a low spot in your yard and just lay a hose down and flood it.They will come up to keep from drowning. Thought you might like reading this. It comes from http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=996392 I hesitate to even mention this, as it's clearly cheating, and a method of worm hunting that only extremely unscrupulous people resort to, but there is an alternate method of capturing night crawlers. Some people use cattle prods or electrical devices to force the poor helpless night crawlers out of the ground and stun them, making them easy to gather. This is clearly a violation of worm hunter ethics and is frowned upon by serious worm gatherers all over the world, but it is a fact of life, and ugly as it seems, needed to be mentioned here.

Commander

I would go the fence charger route. 12VDC operation,high voltage,low amperage. Motorcycle battery is easy to carry. There is an article in Mother Earth News website detailing plans to make one from Radio Shack parts. The article is over 20 years old. I've found more 'modern' circuits to do the same thing, simple and cheap.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Captain

Originally posted by nutcup22: Ive never heard of croaking rwise, do you have to wet the ground first, or is it better in dry ground.
    Never done it myself, I have read abot it and have a 2x2, I would think the ground should be moist.I would stay away from using line current (120VAC) thats just a good way to get hurt or worse. The fence charger sounds like a good idea, you can get them solar powered also.

Seaman Apprentice

gonna call PETA about this whole worm thing sounds like an animal rights problem tommays
    If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
    http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
    1981 J24 Tangent 2930
    http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
    Tommays
    Northport Ny

Captain

People Eating Tasty Animals, ever been to Mcd's

A Mother's Letter...In RemembranceIn memory of my Son, Jacob Nathaniel Hill Born September 12, 1999Died July 21, 2005 How Do You Handle the Death of a Child? I recently lost my 5 year old son, Jacob, on July 21, 2005. He was electrocuted by a worm shocker. Jacob you see was an avid fisherman, every chance he could have, he'd have us fishing. I'm not sure how a parent is supposed to handle the death of their child. For me, I feel like I've died right along with him. The pain is at times so unbearable. The emptiness I feel inside seems to be eating away my own existence. It hurts to see how people and the world around you can go about their everyday life without him, as if though he never existed. They say that as days go by it gets easier, this I don't understand. Everyday that has gone by for me just reminds me another day I never got to share with him, and how many more I never will. You see, me and Jacob were very close, it's like we shared the very same spirit. I do have three other beautiful children, who I am also close to, but Jacob and I were one. The day he was born and I looked down at him, I knew God made him just for me. I knew then there would be a closeness no one in this world could break. But I was so very wrong. Jacob was taken from this world away from me too early for a reason I will never know or come to understand. Five years is too short. This was the time Jacob was finding himself, his own personality, his own dreams. He was to conquer the world and to love me and to make me proud, as he would say. I often ask myself how God could take this from him and me. He had so much to live for and to become. My heart was filled with fulfillment, love, pride...and now it's been filled with pain, anger, and tears. So I ask again, how is a parent to handle the death of their child? Mayce Hill
    Non Sequitur

Captain

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How many people shock worms? Is there anymore danger then driving a vehicle? I'm curious as to how much danger is involved, if a person was to use common sense? I've been told that guns can kill also, but so far the only thing I've seen is the folks behind the trigger doing the killing.

Seaman Apprentice

Im sorry about any unpleasantries of this post. However as with any other activity, common sense is a must. Hunting, fishing, drinking, etc..... . I think after reading this post I will try the croaking method with the 2x2 first. Thanks all for your input.

Captain

Myself I go to the leaf beds rack them back and pick up the worms, fast easy, and good fat worms!

Hi 20/20,The hidden danger is what will get the most unsuspecting killed. Most everyone has had an electrical shock. If they survived, they may have thought that was unpleasent or may be that it was not so bad. The thing is that it mostly depends on the path that the current flowed through the body and or the condition of their heart. Children are especially susseptable. Annother major factor is the area of contact. Standing in water is the only condition that I can think of that is worse than standing on the ground.If someone watches another person shocking worms, they could conclude that it is not so dangerous because they may not realise all of the dangerous factors involved. Personaly, I will never resort to this method, and I have extensive electrical experience.Think of the relative cost! If you compare the number of worms harvested to the number of children or mothers or fathers or friends etc. lost or that will be lost as others learn, would you think it is worth it?No one would put themself in the place of Jacob Nathaniel Hill's parents.You ask about common sense. Does this make common sense?Please find a safe alternative or buy your worms.
    Non Sequitur

Lieutenant

My grandfather told me they would just pour out soapy water from dishwashing on the ground, and up they would come.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast