Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default Small holes in front yard

OK, all of you yard/pest guru's, help me out here. This year, I have noticed that I have hundreds of holes in my front yard. Each hole is about 1 inch in diameter, maybe a little more. On many holes, I can see a wear pattern where "something" has been going in and out of the hole. This is the first year that I have ever had this. I don't think that they are moles, as they don't have the tell-tell mole run and hills (although I do have a few of those, but I have my own way of dealing with moles). I would say snakes, but that would be ALOT of snakes They don't have the "mud tower" like crawdads. Help!!

Any thoughts???
    Geeco
    1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700
    1988 Force 85 hp
    Restoration Thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/start-bluefin-1700-restore-383916.html

Lieutenant Junior Grade jlinder's Avatar

Default Re: Small holes in front yard

When I lived up north I had a similar problem with Voles. (similar to moles) The cure was something called milky spore disease which is a power you spread on the lawn. Does not hurt the grass but makes the voles leave.

Admiral

Dew worms???
    home is where we drop anchor

Senior Chief Petty Officer scooper77515's Avatar

Do you have squirrels? We recently got squirrels in our yard. Three of them, sometimes 5, and all of a sudden, holes like you describe.

They are burying all the nuts and treats we set out for them. They don't always fill the holes back in completely, leaving a thumb sized, knuckle- to 2-knuckle-deep hole.
    2003 Glastron GX 185, with VolvoPenta 4.3GL, currently running Stilleto Baypro III 14.25X21 at 46 mph and 4400 rpms. Other props were 3-blade aluminum 14.3X23 at 43 mph and 4400rpm, and 14.3X21 at 49mph at 4800 rpms.

Lieutenant Commander

Snakes do not make their own holes.
    Gophers?

The neighbors kid walking around your yard at 3am with a horseshoes stake just to drive you crazy.

Voles, better go get some poison bait, now that they have discovered your little party they will be back regularly poison bait is what works best drop a little bit (almond size) down as many holes as you can. If you have snow sitting on the ground for awhile you get a real good idea of the highway system they make in your lawn when the snow melts off
    2000 Crownline 248 BR
    454 MPI Bravo III
    "Wet Lipps II"
    2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition

We too have, for the first time, found dozens of small (about quarter to half-dollar) sized holes about 3 to 4 inches deep. I sent photos to the Mo Dept of Conservation for their input. But an internet search led me to think that they are from armadillos, opossums, or skunks. All look for grubs and dig to get at them.

And yes, for all you southerners, we do have armadillos this far north.
    2009 Neptoon 25TT Sport Sun Lounger
    150 Honda

Older than dirt and just about as active.

Lieutenant Junior Grade j_k_bisson's Avatar

Did you get your yard airated? lol Just joking, no Idea what made them. But have you did not have to pay the kids that come by every year with those messy machines.....

take a picture of the hole and post it here.

I will post pics of my hole (man, that sounds HORRIBLE!) and see if they look the same. I know for a fact mine are from squirrels, as i watch them dig them.

We are under severe drought conditions right now, so the holes may look a little different, but you should be able to get the gist of it.
    2003 Glastron GX 185, with VolvoPenta 4.3GL, currently running Stilleto Baypro III 14.25X21 at 46 mph and 4400 rpms. Other props were 3-blade aluminum 14.3X23 at 43 mph and 4400rpm, and 14.3X21 at 49mph at 4800 rpms.

Seaman

All I can say is if it turns out to be night crawlers leaving 1" around holes you can send me some and your going to make a fortune.

Lieutenant Commander

Squirrel holes usually end in 3 or five inches, where they buried acorns and hickory nuts in the fall.Moles and Voles dig tunnels that go on forever in soft soils.

Your children are screwing with you. They were poking holes in the yard with the handle of a wooden spoon...watching dad go nuts fixing an issue that wasn't there.
    2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

We have crows in our yard that make the same type holes looking for grubs... looks almost like thr holes squirrels dig.

We be boat peeps
    2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try to get a picture in the next day or two. I don't think that they are squirrels because they go in at an angle and go pretty deep. On some of them, the grass is worn down where whatever it is, comes and goes. I am thinking voles also. I never had them that I know of. I probably have 1000 holes
    Geeco
    1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700
    1988 Force 85 hp
    Restoration Thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383916

Admiral

LOOK, if they are dew worms/night crawlers, take two ground rods beat them into the ground 20 feet apart, find a big "CAT" battery (you do know what I mean???) get some jumper cabes that will strech between the poles.

Soak the ground good, put on a good pair of rubber boots, attach the jumper cables!!!

and look for the little squiglers!!!!!

WILL ALSO MAKE FURRY RODENTS JUMP!!!
    home is where we drop anchor

Senior Chief Petty Officer NoKlu's Avatar

That's how they invented that game whack a mole.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Yeah, the squirrel holes aren't very deep. Just half a finger deep or so, so if yours are deeper...

Lieutenant Commander greenbush future's Avatar

My guess is shunks looking for grubs. Very comon here in Michigan and if you can get rid of the grubs your stinker goes away too. Voles are up here too but because they are bug eaters I dont mind them at all, dont have that many of them anyways. In more moist conditions I get crayfish that dig holes about the size you speak of, but they go much deeper that 3-6 inches and they do have what they excavate around the top of the hole.