Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 3rd Class

Default Replacing Impeller 2000 40hp Mercury Outboard 2 stroke

Iím replacing the impeller on my 2000 40hp Mercury. I ran into some kelp over the weekend and the motor quit pissing well. I bought the motor used a few months ago and figured its a good idea to replace the impeller anyway so tonight I took it apart.

There is what looks like tar that was used as gasket sealer. Not sure what the stuff is but its sticky and messy. My question is should I use gasket sealer or is this black tar stuff the right thing to use and if so what is it? The Impeller looks ok but one of the blades looks like it was in going in the reveres direction (see pic)

I cleaned up the plate and housing and the new kit is on the way in the mail. Any pointers or recommendations on the gasket sealer use would be great.

Thanks

Here are some pics before and after cleaning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unhappy Re: Replacing Impeller 2000 40hp Mercury Outboard 2 stroke

Also I just realized there were no washers above and below the impeller the manual shows them and they are in the rebuild kit? I think the previous owner thought the motor was a lot older than it is so maybe it has the wrong impeller as well.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Default Re: Replacing Impeller 2000 40hp Mercury Outboard 2 stroke

bump.. does anyone know what the black tar like stuff is that was used on my pump gasket? Should I use the same stuff (if I can find it) or can anyone recommend a good gasket sealer for the water pump gasket - something I can find at West Marine maybe?

Banned

Any automotive gasket sealer will work but dont use the stuff that glues the gasket on like epoxy. It would be very hard to remove next time.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have any idea what the sticky black tar like stuff is that was used by the previous mechanic?

You don't have to use gasket sealer, as the pressure of the bolts is enough to keep pressure inside the water pump chamber. The direction of the water pump does look a little akward compare to this guy's pump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsCCPUUXbGE, maybe the last person installed it the way?